code 39 RRS feed

• Question

• how do I get my cd rom on my computer to work again I am receiving code 39 and I dont know how to resolve this problem
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:24 PM

All replies

• khasey I am having the same problem, it just started today when my wife tried to install some software.  My system dual boots, so I could test it in XP Pro.  XP has no problem seeing the drive or using it.

Did you ever get an answer or figure out how to fix this?

Thanks,

- roystreet

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Hey!  I figured out how to make it work - At least for me!  I copied part of the article & pasted it below.  It states that it works on XP, but I've tried it on Vista & it worked right after the restart.  It was a registry I needed to delete - It mentions below deleting entries in that key, but I only found the second one mentioned "LowerFilters registry ", but I went ahead & tried it.

I thought you might like to know.

---roystreet

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060

Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and permissions. Then, follow these steps.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:53 AM
  • I am curious about the above "Code 39" fix. When I went to the support Microsoft site, it mentioned Code 31 and Code 19, but not Code 39. I am having a spot of bother in that as I cannot get my DVD/CD ROM to work, I cannot install anything.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:35 PM
  • If you haven't fixed your code 39 yet. I had it happen to me today, and deleting the regestry like what the posts have been saying did work for me. just reboot afterwards and vista reinstalled the right drivers and now i'm up and running.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:12 AM
  • I had  the code 39 error and your registry editing solved my problems for both my  CD-RW and DVD/CD-RW.  I am a Win XP pro user. Thank you for the work around

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:54 PM
  • It has taken me 3 days to try and figure out what the code 39 was and how to fix it. I just happen to come accross this forum page by accident and found the answer I needed. I followed the directions for the regestry deletion and when I restarted the unit, there was my icon back and the properites tab indicated that the device was working properly.  I am a Windows Vista home version user and it works great now thank you very much for the information.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Thanks alot. This worked great on my Vista Ultimate. Updates tend to drop hardware alot so I hear from a techie. I appreciate the info.

Monday, June 30, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for the information on this error, as I didn't know a fix for it.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Very very nice. In my lower registry I at once saw the registry entry was a DVD burning software I use. it all made sence because i just upgraded to Vista Home Premium and had not used this partucular software yet. Right after I initialy tried my software is when my dvd drive disappeared. Anyways, I as well only showed the "lower registry" entry. I deleted it...rebooted and bingo all is well. Forums works if you take the time to read and learn.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 4:51 AM
  •  khasey cunningham wrote:
    how do I get my cd rom on my computer to work again I am receiving code 39 and I dont know how to resolve this problem
    Monday, July 28, 2008 1:30 AM
  • This fix works!!! Just be careful not to delete ALL entries of upper and lower filters, only the two that this fix calls for.  Thank you so much, roystreet!!

Monday, July 28, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Thanks for the tip!  With Vista Ultimate SP1 I didn't have the upperfilter file.  But I deleted the Lowerfiler entry just as you instructed, rebooted and the drive is back and working fine.

Thanks again for your help! 

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Amazing!  I wasted the better part of a day going through Microsoft's alleged help files before I accidentally stumbled into this forum and found the solution to my problem.  I have Windows Vista home edition and my CD/DVD problem was fixed after I followed these steps.  Thank you!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:07 PM
  •  

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Thanks, it worked.  Only thing I did differnet is disabled, then enabled the cd & dvd drives in my device manager.  There was no need to reboot - a big time waster.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:57 PM
  • I tried this step, and after restarting, I still get the same error. I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. Is there anything else that can be done?

Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:39 PM
  • This information was very valuable to me as well. I too am using Windows Vista and was getting the 39 code and after performing the simple instructions I am able to utilize my cd/dvd drive again. Thanks!

Monday, September 1, 2008 3:18 AM
  • I have the same problem as you. Tried this step, even updated my firmware, still have the same problem. I am using XP home edition with service Pack 3. I even tried another cd, same problem. What did you do to fix your problem?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:34 PM
  • I unfortunately ran the guided help to resolve the code 39 error, now I cannot boot my PC. It stops on the BSoD.  Any ideas on how to get past this?  I cannot even bring up safe mode. 

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:17 PM
  •  

i have also gone thru the registry edit and i still cannot use my philips cd rom drive with my dell 700m inspiron and xp home. i followed the path from dell to microsoft and used the guided help to delete the registry and restarted my computer and it still shows code 39 driver may be corrupted or missing. please help. i cannot access my san disk cruzer micro until my cd rom drive works.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Had this problem before with my laptop after removing Roxio 9, but reinstalled XP because I wanted to upgrade to Vista. Got it again today after removing iTunes a day or two ago, and tried several tricks to try and get my DVD drives to detect, and none of them worked. I then searched Microsoft's website for the Code 39, hoping it would provide some insite on how to help me fix this problem, and found this post on editing the registry. Tried it and worked like a charm. If my search had failed, I would've tried calling Microsoft themselves for help. Saved my $39.

Thanks a bunch.

Sunday, October 5, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Thanks for the advice!  I have Windows Vista, too, and your instructions totally helped.  I am so glad!!!  Take care.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Wow thank you sooooo much for your post, I was getting nervous about my driver but it works fine now, it was a little confusing though, only because there are two parts under System; ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, I removed both upper and lower filters to Class {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}But once I restarted the computer I ran my program and the driver was located.

Thank you again!

Friday, October 24, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Dude, you are a genius! You have made my all day search wothwhile. I have a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-830S and I thought it was the hardware but it was not. The hardware works fine. That fix that you have posted solved the problem. Now I can finally read discs again. Thanks! You are awsome!
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Wow, Thanks heaps Roystreet ^_^ I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to online help like this, but I tried your instructions and it worked like a charm!! Back to working as soon as i restarted. Thanks again.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 7:47 AM
  •  khasey cunningham wrote:
    how do I get my cd rom on my computer to work again I am receiving code 39 and I dont know how to resolve this problem
    Monday, November 10, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  

Im working on a family members dell inspiron laptop and they recieved this error Code 39 and now her drive does not work or show up, i think it happend from iTunes. Running windows XP with SP3. Dell Inspirion, Sony CDRWDVD CRX880A.

BUT, i have followed all instructions: Registry Editing, Uninstalling the drive and re installing, rebooting after every attempt and nothing. NOTHING WORKS.

WTF, I need help!
    Friday, November 14, 2008 3:03 AM
  • after spending days going nowhere i found this and it fixed the dreaded code 39 straight away thx for help highly recomend

Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I deleted the upper and lower as instructed and am still getting the same eror. I did notice there were multiple sub folders containing the exact same data without the upper and lower filters. Cuuld this be the problem? If not does anyone have anymore suggestions. I just purchased a digital photo key chain and it gives me the same error.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Thanks, roystreet

i deleted the lower and upper filters..and it works...running xp professional...quit working when Zune downloaded updates, and xp updates..not sure which one fooled it up...Toshiba Qosmio.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:25 PM