Declining/hiding a software update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I hope someone may be able to help with this; Just testing out the software update feature of SCCM2012 to handle windows updates. Im wondering if its possible to 'decline' and thus remove an update from view?

For example I dont want to install IE9 on any of the test machines. So it shows as a required update in the "All software updates" section, however I have not included it in the software update group or any deployments. However despite this it still sits at the top of the "All software updates" list with lack of compliance etc.

Hopefully that made sense and someone could advise me on any suggest best practice with regards to this.

Many thanks.

MCITP Windows 7 Enterprise Administrator

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:15 PM

Answers

• This is a deja vu post/reply for me...cause I asked this same thing when I started use SUP (came from a WSUS background).

Here's what I did...

Make a Folder under the All Updates section, call it "Declined", then MOVE all the updates you don't ever want to see again into that folder.  I also made another folder called "Deployed" that I also move things into just so I only see things in the All Software Updates area that are "new"...  But that's just me being a little OCD on that one.

Jason is right though, if you don't Deploy them, you don't have to worry about them getting installed anywhere...but if you don't want to see them...then my suggestion is to tuck them away into some folders.

Mike...

• Marked as answer by DunkG Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:37 PM

All replies

• Don't confuse "decline" with "remove from view", they are separate concepts -- actually, there is no real decline option in ConfigMgr. Updates are not deployed unless you add them to a deployment thus you could say that by default all updates are declined and are approved once you add them to a deployment.

There is no way to explicitly remove an update from the catalog though. That's what the console filters are for.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

• Proposed as answer by Dennis de Roo Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:54 PM
  • One other thing to point out is the notion of a compliance group. This is an update group that you do not actually deploy. Then, when you run your reports or review the updates in the console for compliance, you use this update group instead of the list of all updates. You can think of this group as an approval list.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:09 PM
  • This is a deja vu post/reply for me...cause I asked this same thing when I started use SUP (came from a WSUS background).

Here's what I did...

Make a Folder under the All Updates section, call it "Declined", then MOVE all the updates you don't ever want to see again into that folder.  I also made another folder called "Deployed" that I also move things into just so I only see things in the All Software Updates area that are "new"...  But that's just me being a little OCD on that one.

Jason is right though, if you don't Deploy them, you don't have to worry about them getting installed anywhere...but if you don't want to see them...then my suggestion is to tuck them away into some folders.

Mike...

• Marked as answer by DunkG Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Thanks for the responses guys. Creating the 'declined' and 'deployed' folders seems like the most logical thing and will allow me to quickly spot the new updates arriving.

Thanks.

MCITP Windows 7 Enterprise Administrator

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:41 AM