"Close button" starts to flash in Word and other programs RRS feed

• Question

• It's been really weird. All of a sudden, the X button (close) started flashing when using Word. It stayed that way for like half an hour, during which I couldn't use Word at all. It stopped by itself, but this has happened before and using media player and with other random windows opened. What's the cause of this?
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can boot into Safe Mode to have a look firstly. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, it may be caused by some third-party software, you can use Windows Defender to scan the malware. 

If it happens in Safe Mode, I suggest that you can check for update in Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Check for update.

Then you can run SFC /SCANNOW in CMD as administrator to scan and repair the corrupted system files.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

I think you can check the Event Viewer>Windows Logs to see if any error messages exists.

You can still use these methods to make sure that your computer run in a comfortable environment.

Run sfc /scannow in CMD as administrator, which can help you fix and repair the system corrupted components

Check updates in Control Panel> Windows Update>Check for update, which can update the driver and components.

Use Windows Defender to scan and remove the malware.

Hope these may help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RomeoCRC Friday, October 13, 2017 12:47 PM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 1:17 AM

All replies

• Not sure what's the exact cause of it. You may go for a System Restore. Select any earlier restore point prior to this incident. You may also check the issue in Safe mode or Clean Boot state.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Well, the laptop is basically new (3 months) and I think it's has no updates yet, so I don't know if there's a restore point to take it to. But I also saw this behavior before, in a non-new laptop with updates. I'll check out with safe mode, but this doesn't always happen, it's like whenever the laptop wants it. 
    • Edited by RomeoCRC Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:54 PM Spelling.
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

You can boot into Safe Mode to have a look firstly. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, it may be caused by some third-party software, you can use Windows Defender to scan the malware. 

If it happens in Safe Mode, I suggest that you can check for update in Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Check for update.

Then you can run SFC /SCANNOW in CMD as administrator to scan and repair the corrupted system files.

Monday, October 2, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

what is going on with the issue?

Since haven't heard from you for a long time, any updates ?

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problems. 

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Hi!

I started the laptop in safe mode and didn't happend, but I have used it in regular mode, too, without it happening either.

The problem is that the issue doesn't happen in an exact set of circumstances. I can say that it happens about twice a month but I can't predict when.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

I think you can check the Event Viewer>Windows Logs to see if any error messages exists.

You can still use these methods to make sure that your computer run in a comfortable environment.

Run sfc /scannow in CMD as administrator, which can help you fix and repair the system corrupted components

Check updates in Control Panel> Windows Update>Check for update, which can update the driver and components.

Use Windows Defender to scan and remove the malware.

Hope these may help.

• Marked as answer by RomeoCRC Friday, October 13, 2017 12:47 PM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 1:17 AM