Add workstation for web access only - no domain controller credentials added. RRS feed

• Question

• A simple question for a newbie - If I patch a laptop (Win7) into my network without adding any credentials in active directory on my domain controller for internet access only can a virus still get onto my server. I like to run a test machine that loads a lot of garbage applications and I just need web access access. load and try. I also do not want to incur the cost of another TrendMicro seat. Is my server just as protected if i add virus protection (Free) to the workstation. We have of course an ASA between the net and the switch but how much that can protect me. I also don't care if the laptop itself has a virus/malware issue - I will take care of that. Just want my Windows 2008 and 2012 servers protected.

Thanks

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It’s not absolutely guaranteed that your domain environment is safe. But we may improve the security with some methods, such as security software/program, no data exchanging or communication. Stand along/separate subnet.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, June 20, 2015 3:42 AM