Feedback: Volume Mixer UI desperately needs improvement RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I don't know whether or not you're changing anything about the Volume Mixer in Win 8, but I think it needs some serious work.

The way the sliders affect each other is unintuitive and inconvenient to the point where I make a point not to ever touch it, for several reasons:

• Maxing out several applications equally is something that we often want to do. We can't do this very easily though, because when you crank an application up to the top line, it juts moves the Device volume up and leaves everything else behind.
    • Sometimes, for whatever reason, when you change an Application volume level, it jumps back to where it was prior as soon as you touch another slider. I'm not even sure how to describe this behavior accurately, but it's certainly either a bug or a design issue.
    • When you have the Device volume turned down fairly low, you lose precision in the Application volume controls.
    • Worst of all, if you accidentally click in the background area of an Application volume slider above the notch, it brings up the volume on that application by 20%, as well as the Device volume -- which you then try to turn down, only to realize that you've turned down everything else to an inaudible level.

I would prefer that each Application simply go from 0 to 100, without affecting or being affected by the Device volume. If an application is at 30% and the Device is at 40%, then it should be 30% * 40% = 12%; if the Device is at 10% and an Application is at 100%, its final volume should be 10%.

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi, you said.. "I don't know whether or not you're changing anything about the Volume Mixer in Win 8, but I think it needs some serious work."

Hear Hear!!  I'm certainly agreed with what you say. WHY can't it behave like a normal mixing desk where each slider is independent of the others, you can then set them all relatively to each other, and the master volume can then be turned up or down as needed.

If a program is set at 80% - it should stay at 80%, another at 50% should stay at 50% - and then the master volume say moved to 20% shouldn't be dragging ALL the individual program sliders down to 20% too - It's certainly a problem, the programming on this definitely needs a rethink IMO. So who's to blame?  Get in here and defend your code if you think the current behaviour is justifiable. :)

Turn it up! pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

I believe this is designed for some reasons when people want different volumn from different application. For example when you are videoing with someone via msn, the background music on your system can be decreased to allow smooth communication.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

I believe this is designed for some reasons when people want different volumn from different application. For example when you are videoing with someone via msn, the background music on your system can be decreased to allow smooth communication.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Hi Magon,

Yes, that is the purpose of the Volume Mixer, and I'm glad it exists. The problem is that it is extremely clumsy to use. If instead of turning down your music you turn up Messenger, when you turn down the device volume again, you've also permanently turned down everything else until you go back into the volume mixer and turn everything up manually.

the cows are here to take me home now...
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for the inquiry. I understand the situatuion. You can submit the feedback and suggestions to the Product Feedback Team : http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Hi Magon, thanks for the link to feedback. :)

Regards, pkn

Wiki Discussion forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnwiki/threads
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:16 AM