OCS not forking at "communicator call"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a problem with implementing dual forking in an OCS environment.

When dialing a SIP enabled, dual forking, user's telephone number, OCS forks the call to the PBX nicely, no problems.

However, the default Office Communicator "dial action" is "communicator call" and when we make a communicator call
    to the same user as above it will only ring in that users OC client, no forking is happening. We have traced outgoing
    traffic from the mediation server and we see that no call information (INVITE) is coming from OCS at a "communicator call".

We have tried all options described in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968101

Is there some additional configuration we must do to make the OCS fork the call even at a "communicator call" ?

/mk

• Moved by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:24 AM the old forum will be closed (From:Telephony)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:40 AM

Answers

• Communicator Calls are OC to OC calls only and OCS does not route them out of the Mediation Server, so there is no way to make them 'dual forked'.  This behavior is by design.  Only calls destined to the telephone number would be supported for Dual Forking.

Also, the default dial option is not specifically the Communicator Call option, but is the last number used to call that contact.  Initially this can be the Communicator Call action, but once a call is placed to a Work or Mobile number that most-recently-used action would become the new default for that specific contact.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 4, 2009 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 11, 2009 10:05 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:36 PM

All replies

• Communicator Calls are OC to OC calls only and OCS does not route them out of the Mediation Server, so there is no way to make them 'dual forked'.  This behavior is by design.  Only calls destined to the telephone number would be supported for Dual Forking.

Also, the default dial option is not specifically the Communicator Call option, but is the last number used to call that contact.  Initially this can be the Communicator Call action, but once a call is placed to a Work or Mobile number that most-recently-used action would become the new default for that specific contact.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 4, 2009 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, December 11, 2009 10:05 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

First, thanks for your answer!
    I believed it to be correct until a few days ago, now I am unsure...

I now have an OCS 2007 R2 system, with a mediation server, connected to a computer running the OCS proxy role and the Nortel MCM software which in turn is connected to a Nortel CS1000 PBX.

My user who is receiving a communicator call is configured for "Enterprise Voice" and "PBX Integration", and has:
    Server URI: sip:
    Line URI: tel+4681234567;ext=34567

When I make a communicator call in this system the call IS forked to the mediation server and my dual forked CS1000 extension will start to ring. The other system I used when writing my original posting did not have the OCS proxy or the MCM software, but I do not think that would play into this scenario. I cannot figure out why this system is forking my communicator calls while my other system is not?

/mk

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Hi MK,

If I understand, you are having a system configured for Dual Forking. This system has to have the Proxy+Nortel MCM component. This is working fine because if you want to have Dual Forking then you must have the OCS Application Proxy+Nortel MCM. This is how Nortel Dual Forking (with RCC in general) is working.

When making a Communicator call, OCS detects that the user you are calling to is enabled for PBX integration (Dual Forking or Dual Forking With RCC) then it will fork the INVITE message and send it to the Mediation Server. The Mediation Server then forwards it to the OCS Application Proxy/MCM. Here, it is the MCM that takes care about the Dual Forking feature and will send the call to the PBX to ring the PBX's phone.

For the system that does not have MCM, you are configuring the Direct SIP, not the Dual Forking! For this reason it is normal that you don't have the call dual foked.

Quang.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Hello Quang,

Yes, that is correct my OCS / Nortel system is configured like you describe.

In my other system which does not have MCM, I still have Dual Forking turned on.
    My user in that system is also configured for "Enterprise Voice" and "PBX Integration", and that is why when I call that user's telephone number OCS forks the call to the PBX nicely, so dual forking is working when dialing a telephone number. However, in my first system, when making a "communicator call", this call is not forked.

/mk

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:27 PM
  • MK,

For the system that does not have the Application Proxy/MCM, it is normal that the call is not forked! As explained, it is a pure Direct SIP (Enterprise Voice only) configuration.

Also, I recommend you to turn off the dual forking for this system (disable the PBX integration) since when doing so, there should be some extra messages sent from the OCS Front End to the Mediation and from the Mediation to the CS1000. Also, when enable user for Dual Forking, you will loose some features such as Team Call, Simultaneous Ringing, Delegation... (Features available only for pure Enterprise Voice).

Quang.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Hello Quang,

I am not sure you understand my scenario; I am talking about two completely different OCS / PBX systems.

In my system without MCM I am using an OCS 2007 R2 Standard Server, OCS Mediation Server and an MX-ONE 3.2 IP-PBX.
    In this system dual forking IS WORKING, when a telephone number is dialed, but it is not working when making a communicator call.

Since I now seen systems (read Nortel) where they manage to get the calls forked even at a communicator calls
    I now wonder how this is happening?
    Is the MCM communicating directly with the front end bypassing the mediation server?
    Or is it some setting I do not know about to turn on "Dual Forking for Communicator calls"?

As you can understand this is confusing to the users - sometimes the call will fork and sometimes not and this depending on how they contacted the person the last time. (As Jeff explained, the default dial option is the last number used to call that contact.)

/mk

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hello MK,

If this is not a Nortel CS1000 PBX + Application Proxy MCM then for me you are not having a proper (tested and certified) Dual Forking! Only Nortel is certified (and tested) to be Dual Forking with RCC. There are a lot of things to complete to make the Dual Forking working properly, especially the way to avoid the loop back!

So, if you are configuring the Dual Forking with your MX-ONE then this is NOT a Dual Forking, so do expect to have the system not working fully as a Nortel Dual Forking.

For the Nortel Dual Forking system, I'm sure that even when calling the Communicator, the call is forked to the PBX telephone. This is the true Dual Forking.

For a Dual Forking system with Nortel, you should have:

OCS Front End<---->OCS Mediation<------>OCS Proxy/MCM<---------->CS1000

OCS Proxy MCM is not communicating directly with the Front end in case you are using Dual Forking (or VOIP in Nortel vocabulary). MCM is bypassing OCS Mediation only for RCC scenario.

"sometimes the call will fork and sometimes not and this depending on how they contacted the person the last time.": Well, it is why this is not certified as Dual Forking! It is not just because you configured users to have Dual Forking then the system will be working correctly. As said, Dual Forking is quite complexe and the only vendor who did it should have spent a lot of time to design, test and make it certified with Microsoft.

So, for me, it is not strange at all the behavior you are observing with the MX-ONE PBX.

Quang.

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Hello,

Well, it’s hard to certify since the possibility to certify dual forking is removed since long.

Also consider that OCS 2007 R2 is not certified either to support dual forking with Nortel, only the R1 version is, so I am not sure what you mean with "proper (tested and certified) Dual Forking". Dual forking with OCS 2007 R2 works great anyway.

I am not really looking for what is supported or not - I am simply trying to figure out the mechanism to make OCS 2007 R2 fork all calls, and not just calls to telephone numbers.

/mk

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:38 PM