none
Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work

Question

• Under Win7 I set up an additional user account named "admin" which is member of the user group "Administrators". The predefined account "Administrator" is disabled. I did this on all four PC's in my home network. All PC's are using Windows 7 pro except one which is already upgraded to Windows 10 pro. All PC's are members of a work group.

On one PC I set up some shares which can be accessed by all users for reading very easy because all accounts exist on each PC and the passwords for the accounts are the same on each PC.

What now happens (or better to say not happens) is the following:

A normal user on a PC can access the shares on the Win7 PC providing the shares without any problems. The user "admin" can not access. The error message tells me, that the account is not enabled. This happens on the Windows10 PC and on one Windows 7 PC. It works without any problems from the third PC.

When I enabled the account "Administrator" on the Win7 PC providing the shares it works. It seems, that Windows uses the wrong credentials to connect to the share. It is confusing that it occurs only on two of three PC's.

If someone could help I would be grateful.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Biker, 

Thank you for your question. 

For troubleshooting, we could do the following steps: 

1. Configure the share file on other PC, then use this account which has admin permission to check if the issue persist
    2. Delete this account profile on two PCs which share didn’t work, then rebuild the Windows profile to check if the issue persist
    3. Turn off Windows firewall on two PCs to check if the issue persist 

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard, 

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by jim-xu Monday, August 24, 2015 12:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by HGT-Biker Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:40 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 12:58 PM

All replies

• Are you logging into the machines directly as the admin user or simply elevating permissions to admin when required? If it's the latter, and assuming you've setup the shares as mapped drives for easy access, check that those drive mappings are showing up for the admin user on that machine.

In some situations while the drive mapping is visible to the current user, if you elevate to an admin user then that doesn't pick up those drive mappings. Simplest way to check is to open an elevated command prompt and see if the drive mapping is there. If not, then either login to that profile and add the drive mapping, or in the elevated command prompt run

net use x: \\server\share

where x is the drive letter you want to use and \\server\share is the path to the share you want to access. As long as you keep the command prompt open it will be available to the elevated session.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I am logging in directly as admin user on each of the PC's. There are no mapped drives in use on none of the PC's, I use the UNC path instead, e.g. \\shares\music in the windows explorer.

For a test I created a user named "Verwalter" (German for caretaker), made it member of the administrators group and had no problem opening the shares with it. I remember that this mixing up of admin and administrator already occurred some years ago at work but it was not my responsibility to solve it. So I don't remember the solution the IT section found.

I am sure this access worked in the past. Unfortunately I use these accounts only occasionally so I can not tell when something and/or what happened on one or more of these computers in the past weeks.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Hi Biker, 

Thank you for your question. 

For troubleshooting, we could do the following steps: 

1. Configure the share file on other PC, then use this account which has admin permission to check if the issue persist
    2. Delete this account profile on two PCs which share didn’t work, then rebuild the Windows profile to check if the issue persist
    3. Turn off Windows firewall on two PCs to check if the issue persist 

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard, 

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by jim-xu Monday, August 24, 2015 12:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by HGT-Biker Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:40 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Hi Jim,

thanks for the hints. Deleting the user profile did solve the problem. Sometimes funny things are going on inside Windows :-).

Greetings from Biker

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:44 PM