none
Unable to run Post-Deployment Configuration Wizard after installation of the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Essentials Experience RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Fresh install of Windows Server Essentials 2016 on a  HP ProLiant ML 150G6 with a single processor quad core  with 20 GB of RAM and a 500 GB Mirror Set.

Post Deployment Fails at 89%

I noticed that the Windows Server Essentials Storage Service does not want to start (Access Denied)

Tried several troubleshooting streps which incl:

Checking primary DNS in IPv4 = 127.0.0.1

Created 'ServerAdmin' & 'MediaAdmin' security groups in AD and added it to the "Logon as a Service" GPO. I incl. Domain Admin and Administrator too but to no avail.

All other dependent services are running fine under Local System Account

The "storageservice.log" indicates a "folder not healthy so skip update folder info permissions id:" not sure what to make of that. 

I would like to be able to finish the post configuration and finalize configuring the server.  I have been researching this issue for the past 30 day with no luck. 

Will appreciate any input or help on the resolution of this issue. 

JFM

Friday, April 26, 2019 4:01 AM

Answers

• Eve,

I have done what you instructed.  So far, I arrive to the same error message everytime:

I have configured the Static IP address in the Server with the same IP as DNS Server

I have created the two users ServerAdmin and MediaAdmin.

The server had not created the shared folder nor configured the dfs.  I did manually as you instructed.

Restarted the server with the same results. 

I had to place the server in production and joined the workstations manually

They are working but I still have to find a solution to the issue short of reinstalling.  

Thank you

JFM

• Marked as answer by jairomcnally Monday, May 13, 2019 3:44 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the issue may occur if the DFS Namespace Folder is missing. Please confirm that if the DFS Namespace Folder exists. If not, try to manually add it.

First, run PowerShell cmdlet “get-windows feature” and end with enter to confirm that if DFS management tool has been installed(Server Roles DFS Namespaces should be installed by default, if not, manually install this server role), if not, please typing below PowerShell cmdlet to manually install it:
    Install-WindowsFeature "RSAT-DFS-Mgmt-Con"

Then, check the DFS Namespace Folder:
    1. Launch the DFS Management Console (Dfsmgmt.msc).
    2. Folders should be displayed as below:

If folders does not exist, manually add it:
    1. Right-click Namespace, click New Namespace.
    2. Type the FQDN of the server in the Server section, click Next.
    3. Type Shared Folders in the Name section and click Next.
    4. Select the Radio button Stand-alone namespace , click Next.
    5. Click Create and click Close.
    6. Right-click \\<server FQDN>\Shared Folders and click New Folder. 
    7. Under Name, type Company and click OK. 
    8. Again, Right-click\\<server FQDN>\Shared Folders and click New Folder.
    9. Under Name, type Users and click OK 
    10. Proceed to run the Post deployment Essentials configuration task.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 3:07 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt response Eve.   I have followed the set of instructions step by step and while the server had no DFS Administration Tool, I was able to install it using the powershell  cmdlet as you suggested.   I created the two folders (company and users) but when I rebooted and try to run the Post-Deployment Essentials configuration task, it failed again with exactly the same message. 

What else can be causing the problem?.   All seems to be close to the finalization of the post-deployment task.. It gets to 89% and then shows the same error.

JFM

Monday, April 29, 2019 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

> Checking primary DNS in IPv4 = 127.0.0.1
    Please manually assign the preferent DNS server as WSE’s IP address, instead of lookback address. 

> I noticed that the Windows Server Essentials Storage Service does not want to start (Access Denied)
    Open Windows Server Essentials Storage Service properties:
    1. General tab, configure the Startup type with Automatic (Delayed Start).
    2. Log on tab, configure it to log on as Local System account.
    3. Dependencies tab, please make sure that dependencies services are already running.

Re-start system and try to configure again to check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:13 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt response Eve.   I have followed the set of instructions step by step and while the server had no DFS Administration Tool, I was able to install it using the powershell  cmdlet as you suggested. I created the two folders (company and users) but when I rebooted and try to run the Post-Deployment Essentials configuration task, it failed again with exactly the same message. 

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:27 AM
  • I, once again followed your set of instructions, the service is started but still have the same issue:

The server cannot finish the post configuration wizard:

error when configuring Windows Server Essentials. Try again

No joy.!!

Exact same message at the failure of the post configuration wizard.  

Any information will be appreciated.

JFM

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Created 'ServerAdmin' & 'MediaAdmin' security groups in AD and added it to the "Logon as a Service" GPO. I incl. Domain Admin and Administrator too but to no avail.

Those are not security groups but Managed Service Accounts. Did you look at Configuration encountered some issues when you try run Windows Server Essentials configuration wizard, please restart the server.

If the ServerAdmin$ or MediaAdmin$ do not exist you can create them with:

New-ADServiceAccount -Name ServerAdmin -enabled $True

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

If problem persists, if possible, re-install the system with installation medium is worthy to have a try. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, May 10, 2019 1:43 AM
  • Eve,

I have done what you instructed.  So far, I arrive to the same error message everytime:

I have configured the Static IP address in the Server with the same IP as DNS Server

The server had not created the shared folder nor configured the dfs.  I did manually as you instructed.

They are working but I still have to find a solution to the issue short of reinstalling.  

Thank you

JFM

• Marked as answer by jairomcnally Monday, May 13, 2019 3:44 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 3:35 AM
  • Question
    You cannot vote on your own post

Eve,

Thank you

JFM

Friday, May 10, 2019 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

Run SFC and DISM to check system health and check the result.

Besides, please check below registry entry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\Setup

Check below registry entry value:
    SetupStage -> ICDone
    InProgress -> False
    ICStatus -> 1 
    ServiceState -> 2

Refreshed Server Manager and try to reconfigure again to check the result.

Besides, please open Run, type “Winver” and end with enter, provide me the detail information of OS build. Also, please clear all log files and relate event before you try to re-run the configuration wizard, if problem persists, provide me the newly generated log and event:
    1. %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs.
    2. Event Viewer -> Applications and Services logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> find ServerEssentilas relate error event. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, May 10, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Good Morning Eve.

I have read the instructions you provide.  First, I want to thank you for your help and persistence.  

I have connected to the remote server.  I ran the sfc /scannow.

I received errors but just to make sure I will logon as administrator and run it again. 

I just wanted to confirm with you that if I find errors then we will have to boot on safe mode and re run sfc or should I go to the next step which is to run the DISM COMMANDS:

1. Run dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    2. Run dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    3. Run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Now, I also went to the registry and found that the:

SetupStage -> ICDone

InProgress -> True

ICStatus -> 3 

ServiceState -> 2 (no such entry)

What is your recommendation?   

I have ran winver and found that the Windows version is Version 1607 (OS compilation 14939.2941

I will be running the sfc as administrator and later I will try to get someone on location to run it under safemode.

If we get errors then I will run dism (if you wish to add or correct the commands I will implement, please do so)

I will follow the rest of the instructions in the order provided.  Will keep you posted. 

JFM

Friday, May 10, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Back up registry first, then, reference below configuration to manually add/edit the registry entries I had mentioned:

Re-start system and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:20 AM
  • I followed your instructions and once I logged in again it gave me the message that the configuration had completed. 

Thank you!!

You are an angel!

JFM

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:44 AM
  • I chanted victory too fast.  The issue is now that after It gave the message that the configuration was finished, I tried to open the dashboard and i am getting a message:

Cannot open the dashboard

You do not have the permissions to open the dashboard.  Start the session as administrator and try to open the dashboard again. 

JFM

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:47 AM