Power Query Error Pulling from Facebook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This used to work, but now when I try to pull posts for any page but my own I get this error:

DataSource.Error: An unknown error occurred Details: https://graph.facebook.com/pagename/posts?limit=1000

"An access token is required to request this resource." 

Thoughts? My account is connected just fine to my knowledge.

• Edited by SnugsWal Monday, July 15, 2013 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:47 PM

Answers

• That would be a Facebook limitation and while not very well documented, there seem to be other individuals hitting the same error while interacting directly with the Facebook Graph API. Power Query does not restrict the number of calls to a source. 

Thanks,

Theresa

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using an older workbook with the latest version of Power Query, or did you create a new connection using Power Query? The error message makes it sound like the credential/token is expired. Have you tried deleting your credential for Facebook via the "Data Source Settings" button in the ribbon and trying again?

Thanks.

-faisal

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:24 PM
  • I'm using it with a new, blank workbook with the latest version of Power Query. I deleted my Facebook data source and reentered it, but I'm still getting the same result.

It will work if I just do it for my own page. But that's really not very useful. I am an admin of the page I am trying to access.

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:07 PM
  • OK thanks - let me follow up with the team. I know we made some changes to the Facebook connectivity in the latest build.

Faisal

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:26 AM
  • Thank you, I really appreciate it.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Hi Faisal, I was just wondering if you found out anything about this error?

Thank you!

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Hi SnugsWal,

Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this issue. If you feel ok with sharing your workbook, could you please send us a frown and include the workbook containing the FB query?

Thanks in advance.
    M.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Well there is no workbook that I'm working off of exactly, other than a blank book. I just tried to use it for a page I wasn't an admin of that has less than 20k fans and it worked. but I just tried to use it for a page with over 2.6M fans (tried the Microsoft page itself, haha) and got the error: 

DataSource.Error: An unknown error occurred Details: https://graph.facebook.com/microsoft/posts?limit=1000

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi SnugsWal,

Correct, this issue will manifest on pages on which you don't have permissions to see results (like #likes, comments, etc.).

It seems that the page with 20k fans might have visibility enabled for anyone, but Microsoft's page might not.

Thanks,
    M.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:56 PM
  • So it should work for any page I have admin access too? Because it's not working for pages that I do have admin access for.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hi SnugsWal,

While trying to reproduce your issue, we were able to access posts from pages we have admin access to. However many accounts/pages can vary, including the type of admin access and the settings on the page. If you have a specific page you are an admin for and cannot see the posts, the best way for us to investigate would be to provide us with admin access to see if we can investigate further. 

Thanks,

Theresa

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Ah, I understand. Unfortunately I am unable to do that. On a separate note I have started receiving an error that 600 calls were exceeded per 600 seconds. Is that a Facebook limitation or a Power Query limitation?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:35 AM
  • That would be a Facebook limitation and while not very well documented, there seem to be other individuals hitting the same error while interacting directly with the Facebook Graph API. Power Query does not restrict the number of calls to a source. 

Thanks,

Theresa

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a fix for this?

I am a new user and I am having issues with exporting data from my page (it has 4MM fans).

The error i get is:

DataSource.Error: Facebook: Failed to get the graph from 'https://graph.facebook.com/cacaushow/members?limit=1000' because of a parameter error. 

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:45 PM