My computer hangs at shutdown -- Abnormally Stopped System Services, exit code: 1067 RRS feed

• Question

• My computer hangs at shutdown.  When I select Shutdown the screen shows a "Force .exe file to shutdown" but there is no file to select.  Occasionally, when I go ahead and select the "Force Shut down" anyway, my computer shuts down normally. However, this has only helped a couple of times. It usually just hangs up (freezes) and I never get the "Logging Off" or  the "Shutdown" screens. It just hangs with the background image showing. I have to press the Start button for a few seconds to force a shutdown. When I start it in Smart mode, it will turn off normally. I've turn off all services except for 3 Nvidias and Bluetooth via mscofig.exe to no avail.  I then ran the "Resource and Performance Monitor" and found the following error:

Abnormally Stopped System Services

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Exit Code: 1067
    Service Name: stisvc
    Path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
    Service Code: 0
    Started: False
    State: Stopped

I wonder if this is causing my Shutdown problem or if it is the result of the forced Shutdown --  what do you think?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, on a HP Pavilion laptop, 8gb Ram, Intel Core i5 @ 1.70GHz processor.

Please help. This is a real thorn in my side. Thank you!

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi SteedJ,

If your issue still remains, please try to stop "Windows Image Acquisition" service.

Steps are below:
      1. Click START button, and
          input "services.msc" and press [Enter].
          ..... "Services" window will appear .....

2. Right Click on "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)", and
          select "Properties".  

3. Change "Startup type": [Automatic] >> [Disabled], and 
          press [Stop], and then press [OK].

4. Close "Services" window and restart Windows.

And check if Shutdown would be done smoothly.

Regards.
    -----------------
    Please remember to mark this reply as answer, if it would help you.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 1:23 AM

All replies

• Hi SteedJ,

After my searching for "force.exe", there hit many articles of Anime.

Do you know something about "Force.exe".
    Have you scanned your computer by some Anti-Virus software?

Regards.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

According to the content of your post, we can find an information called Abnormally Stopped System Services.

I think we should pay attention to it, please check the related services:

Still Image Acquisition Events and Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). Go to Services interface to see the status of them. In my computer, they are stopped and configured as Manual, I advise you configure these services as mine.

Meanwhile, too many background programs can slow shutdown speed, please notice this point.

In addition, we could use Windows Performance Toolkit to diagnose shutdown process, please check this website below to understand and get it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh162981.aspx

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:14 PM
  • I'm sorry. I should have made my previous post more clear. I do not have a "Force.exe" file. What I meant was this... When I select Shutdown, the screen shows the following: Select  ".exe" (executable)   file to force it to  shutdown. However, there is no executable file available to select to make it shut down.

Yes, I have scanned my computer over and over and over again. There is no virus that is detected. I have checked for malware, pup's, etc but can find none.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for reply. I could understand your issue.
    I'll try to search.

Regards.
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Hi SteedJ,

If your issue still remains, please try to stop "Windows Image Acquisition" service.

Steps are below:
      1. Click START button, and
          input "services.msc" and press [Enter].
          ..... "Services" window will appear .....

2. Right Click on "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)", and
          select "Properties".  

3. Change "Startup type": [Automatic] >> [Disabled], and 
          press [Stop], and then press [OK].

4. Close "Services" window and restart Windows.

And check if Shutdown would be done smoothly.

Regards.
    -----------------
    Please remember to mark this reply as answer, if it would help you.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 1:23 AM