none
Building a Sandbox Environment - MSPS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

We have set up a sandbox shell for our MSPS 2010 environment (server/pwatest) on the same server as our Production environmment  (server/pwa).   Is there a way to quickly copy over the enterprise codes, RBS, etc...  from the production PWA site - or do we need to rebuild this environment manually?  Does a utility exist that would simplify this process?

Thanks!

Randy

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can use Play Books to copy your projects, Custom fileds, ect. you can fine it here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg128952(v=office.14).aspx

hope this will help.

Cheers,

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi Randy,

alternatively you use a copy of your 4 production pwa databases to build the sandbox environment. By that you have a one-to-one copy apart from the SharePoint arts like the PDPs.

If you want them also, you would need to copy your production /pwa using site collection backup/restore to your /sandbox site collection.

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Christoph

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for your response.   This seems to point to building a sandbox environment on a different server..... would this work if the sandbox is on the same server?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:52 PM
  • Thanks for your response.   Would this work if the sandbox environment is the same server as production?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Hi Randy,

it also works if you use the same server / farm as for production.

The only thing you cannot do is to duplicate the content database because the site has an internal ID that can only exist once in the farm.

But you can use a copy of your 4 pwa databases to build either a /sandbox or a sandbox/pwa site. (I prefer the second one using a different web application and keep the site collection name.

Kind regards

Christoph

Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:03 AM
  • A couple quick notes - Playbooks moves settings from one instance to another.
     It works fine on multiple instances on the same server - although you'll
    want to make sure some of the settings don't copy, i.e. that the OLAP cubes
    from the sandbox don't overwrite your PROD cubes.

The 4 X DB solution works fine as well, although you may run into size issues
    with replicating the same db on your server.

I might point out that generally a sandbox on a PROD server is generally
    not a good idea - with the caveat that I've done it to create an instance
    for some proof of concept or training data.  Hence, I generally use Playbooks
    and then create a subset of data in any sandbox on PROD.

If I plan to do any development or QA/DEV work, I'd definitely recommend
    pushing the second instance to another set of hardware.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:38 PM