Outlook 2016 Default Cached Mode Set to 3 Months RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been testing the Upgrade to Office 2016 from Office 2010 in our environment.

After upgrading Outlook 2016 has Cached Mode set to only 3 months, how do I configure this to cache all emails by default?

Regards,

Andrew

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:52 PM

Answers

• We shouldn't need to talk our remote users through configuring that, I was hoping for a setting the in package.

I will just script out the configuration of this registry then:

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\outlook\cached mode
    DWORD:syncwindowsetting

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Fury Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:02 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

By default, Outlook configures Exchange accounts to only synchronize a specific number of months, depending on the size of the disk. The following table shows the default Sync Slider setting for different disk sizes:

Disk size                                                              Default setting
    Smaller than or equal to 32 GB                              1 month
    Greater than 32 GB, but smaller than 64 GB           3 months
    Equal to or greater than 64 GB                              1 year

Generally, the cached mode Mail to keep offline setting is maintained in the Outlook profile settings in the Windows registry. If you want to administer this setting by using Group Policy, you can use the Group Policy templates. These are available from the following Microsoft websites:
    Office 2016: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49030

The Group Policy template files for Outlook 2016 are Outlook16.admx and Outllk16.adml. If you use Group Policy to manage this setting, the following registry data is used by Outlook:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
    DWORD: SyncWindowSetting
    Value: integer value (Decimal) specifying the number of months (use only the following values)

0 = All (whole mailbox)
    1 = 1 month of email items
    3 = 3 months of email items
    6 = 6 months of email items
    12 = 12 months of email items
    24 = 24 months of email items

For more information about this, please refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2733062

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Thanks that's helpful.

Is there any option to configure this setting for non-domain users as well?

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, this Group Policy setting is only working for the Cached Exchange Mode deployment in the domain environment. For individual non-domain users, they can change how much mail to keep offline manually in Outlook 2016:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-how-much-mail-to-keep-offline-f3a1251c-6dd5-4208-aef9-7c8c9522d633

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:18 AM
  • We shouldn't need to talk our remote users through configuring that, I was hoping for a setting the in package.

I will just script out the configuration of this registry then:

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\outlook\cached mode
    DWORD:syncwindowsetting

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Fury Thursday, March 10, 2016 10:02 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, there is no more settings for remote users about the Sync slides in Outlook. Additionally, this Sync Slider number is depended on the disk sizes by default.

I think this is a better consideration for Outlook 2016 performance. If the Sync Slider is set to All and many messages are received in your mailbox. The Cached file is becoming larger size in your disk. If the Cached file (.OST file) is too large, there may be a performance issue in Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2768656

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:46 AM