none
How to link tasks in sub plans to a main project plan? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have MS Project 2007 Standard and am trying to create an MS Project plan which has key milestones/tasks.

The issue is that these milestones/tasks need to be linked to 6 other project plans, so that when those same tasks are updated in the 6 other plans, it updates my main 'master' project plan.

I can see that in 2007 standard version, it is possible to insert an entire project plan into another. However, this doesn't appear to give me the option of linking specific tasks from the 6 sub plans to those in the master plan.

I have also found a Collaboration option, but this is greyed out.

Is it possible to create the above, or is this something I would need MS Project Server for. Or, alternatively, is this something I would need MS Project Standard 2010 or 2013 for?

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Friday, August 1, 2014 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can definitely do what you want with Project Standard. Just create a brand new file, insert in it all you subprojects in read write mode. Then pressing CTRL key, select your milestones from your different projects and link them with the link icon.

Finally close saving all the subprojects. It will be up to you to keep the master plan. It could only be used to create inter projects links and might not be saved since it is just an "empty box". 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by A Rose Friday, August 1, 2014 12:05 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi Amy,

You can do that you 2007 version, see this blog for a more detailed procedure.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark it as an answer so any user with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can definitely do what you want with Project Standard. Just create a brand new file, insert in it all you subprojects in read write mode. Then pressing CTRL key, select your milestones from your different projects and link them with the link icon.

Finally close saving all the subprojects. It will be up to you to keep the master plan. It could only be used to create inter projects links and might not be saved since it is just an "empty box". 

Hope this helps,

Friday, August 1, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

That is good to hear. Does it matter I have V2007?

Amy

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Hi Amy,

You can do that you 2007 version, see this blog for a more detailed procedure.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark it as an answer so any user with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Friday, August 1, 2014 11:47 AM
  • thanks very much. I will read the blog and mark the answers now.

Amy

Friday, August 1, 2014 12:05 PM