laptop does not recognise ext hard drive/vista RRS feed

• Question

• hello, i have recently bought a ext hard drive, it works fine on my sisters comp but mine does not recognise it anywere, ie device/disk management etc, i dont even get the "ding -dong" sound when the comp recognises new hardware, but the light on the ext hd comes on, my usb ports were damaged so i have to use a pmcia card bus thing for usb devices, it works with everything else, dongles, mice , ipod, phones etc, what ius going on ?, someone help please
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• have you tried changing the usb cables ? what i can suggest is .. you might want to use a different hard disk enclousure to try booting the hard disk up.. :)
    Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    • Proposed as answer by Soh.M Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Monday, July 11, 2011 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe the Voltage does not meet up to what the hard drive requires.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:40 AM
  • the ext harddisk is probably a very new device. visit your pc manufacturer's website and download latest drivers for your PC especially the USB drivers
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe the Voltage does not meet up to what the hard drive requires.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:40 AM
  • have you tried changing the usb cables ? what i can suggest is .. you might want to use a different hard disk enclousure to try booting the hard disk up.. :)
    Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:04 PM
  • the ext harddisk is probably a very new device. visit your pc manufacturer's website and download latest drivers for your PC especially the USB drivers
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:43 PM