none
MDT Replication of boot.wim RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have set up DFS-r to replicate my deployment share to remote servers. I have also updated my bootstrap.ini with DefaultGateway settings for each remote server.

How do I manage the setting of the MDT Rule properties under General \ Network (UNC) path?

Typically, this is set to  \\{IP Address of local server}\DeploymentShare$.

If you replicate the deploymentshare and update the WDS boot image, the client build will attempt to use the path of the master server, rather than the local server.

I currently have to go to each remote server and amend the path to the IP address of the local server and then Update and import the boot.wim into WDS.  I'd like to automatically get the client to access the local server.

I have tried using %WDSSERVER% in the path, but this flags up an error.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike

Friday, November 21, 2014 10:14 AM

All replies

• Using WDSServer is typically the way to go, if you got some flags then best to look at those problems first.

If you still need help debugging the problem ,please copy your bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive and share the link.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply, but when I say flags I'm referring to the red exclamation that appears at the end of the text box indicating that the entry (typically \\%WDSSERVER%\DeploymentShare$) is obviously unacceptable to the system as a UNC path. As I said in my first post, I have set up the DefaultGateway entries in the bootstrap.ini, but this doesn't help.

• Edited by Lothian313 Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:20 AM
  • The problem with the %WDSServer% setting in the bdd.log file is that if you *DON"T* boot up from PXE, the WDSServer variable will not be set, so you will get the un-expanded variable %WDSServer% from cs.ini.

Again, if you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log and/or cs.ini file to a public site like onedrive, and share the link.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Sorry Keith

But I think you are missing my point.  This is a server configuration problem.

Since this is on the server (2008 R2), I don't see where you are coming from when you refer to PXE boot.  Surely this is only relevant to the client?

In the MDT Deployment Workbench on the MDT server, you are not allowed to put \\%WDSSERVER%\DeploymentShare$ as a UNC path.  You receive a Validation Error when you try.  If you know of some way to do this, then I will be eternally grateful.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:32 PM
  • And I think *YOU* are missing my point as well.

Calling it a "Server Configuration Problem" is an oversimplification of the process. bootstrap.ini is *ONLY* parsed on the client. And all processing on the client is logged in the bdd.log file.

Although we all appreciate your analysis of the problem, it would be more helpful to actually see the bootstrap.ini and/or bdd.log file to follow along and see what is actually happening.

So again.. If you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log and/or bootstrap.ini file to a public site like onedrive, and share the link.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:48 PM