DA2012 R2 using forced tunneling - Unable to access Exchange 2010 server via outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Any DA guru's out there able to advise on a possible config issue. I'm not sure if it's a DA tweak or maybe a Windows firewall tweak. 

I'm testing DA2012 using Windows 2012 R2. No UAG box in the middle. The setup is done with two 2012 R2 servers using Windows NLB. DA is setup with force tunnelling for clients is enabled. 

All appears to be setup and working ok, with the exception of RPC connectivity. Outlook clients are showing a status of disconnected, yet the exchange 2010 server is accessible via ping and I can also connect to the OWA/webmail URL (https://exchange/owa). Lync is working, connecting to the internal lync 2013 server, but is reporting problems due to the lack of exchange access. MMC access to HyperV hosts does not work, as it's reporting RPC connectivity issues. 

Is this an ISATAP/IP-HTTP/RPC-over-HTTP problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction ? 

Clients are Windows 8.1 hosts, but I'll be looking to use both WIN8.1 & WIN 7 hosts. 

Many thanks for your assistance. 

PD

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see http://geek.martinwahlberg.com/problem-using-forced-tunneling-mode-in-directaccess

The above is what I had to complete recently to get a forced tunnelling DA to work.

Regards

Regards, Rmknight

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Many thanks for the details, that certainly helps. 

On your setup, did it appear to take quite some time for the outlook client to pick up exchange ??

On a client that was just using activeSync/OWA mail access the connection, when not using DA was quite quick to pick up the exchange server. When using DA, and the above fix, there's a few minutes of waiting for the outlook client to pick up.  (in my case I'm testing with Outlook 2013 connecting to Exchange2010). 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:11 PM