none
Task Manager Notify RRS feed

• Question

• I have a kiosk running a software at startup. I have used windows steadystate to lock down the user capabilities. The one problem I can not solve, I have disabled user being able to access task manager, but the system message still pops up informing user that task manager has been disabled. With the OK button. The popup is behind my software; therefore, it is possible for memory overload with a ton of these messages behind the app. Is there anyway to kill these popups, with a batch file, or within a C# app or disable messaging. I have researched this for days.

Seems to me when you disable a function, you would want it seamless for the user.  In other words, everytime user trys something he gets a system message telling him he cant do that, really gets annoying.  Kind of defeats the purpose of a lockdown program,  the minimal OS should be profunctional not interupting.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi morea, thanks for the post. Please understand that as we do not support custom batch file/script/C# development in this forum, you will need to write your own app. Also, it seems that there is not much to do with Windows SteadyState in the current issue, I consider you can have a try by using registry or group policy to disable Task Manager and see the result: 

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    Name: DisableTaskMgr
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
    Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

Click Start
    Click Run
    Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
    In the Group Policy settings window
    Select User Configuration
    Select Administrative Templates