Creating a Private Cloud on a budget RRS feed

• Question

• For the last two days I've have been working hard on setting up my Private Cloud with the few things I have. It has been rather frustrating since the tutorials seem to suggest you need more than two servers to make it work. The setup I have now is one PC is a domain controller running Server 2012 R2 and another PC running Server 2012 R2. The domain controller PC can take at two hard drives (A 1TB is installed) at once while the other server can only run one (That has a 2TB). At the current moment on the other server I have installed VMM, but now I'm debating a problem:

Should I just learn it through Azure online and not even mess with my PC's to do a private cloud?

Friday, February 7, 2014 11:26 AM

Answers

• Great, although I strongly suggest you to put AD in a virtual machine, instead of running it directly on a Hyper-V host. Once you have enabled Hyper-V on a server, nothing else should be located on the parent partition, but be running as virtual machines.

About your laptop, and how you can access your "private cloud" depends on what kind of services you will share. For a true cloud experience, you should also consider a component for self-service in this mix, like App Controller or Windows Azure Pack, as the front-end for the self-service users

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• To get your hands on a private cloud, you would really need access to a Hypervisor. You will not get access to the hypervisor level in Windows Azure, but the layer above = Operating system of the guest. 

If you have two hosts, you have all you need to create a Hyper-V cluster, which is the foundation of the private cloud.

Then you can run all the other roles for infrastructure and management, as virtual machines within this environment.

(You can even simulate shared storage with a virtual machine, for your cluster).

-kn

Saturday, February 8, 2014 5:59 PM
  • This is my setup just to clarify:

I have Server 2012 R2 with a Domain Controller. Nothing else.

I have Server 2012 R2 with System Center 2012 R2 VMM and Hyper-V. That would count as one Hyper-V host.

I have a third machine, a laptop. How would I access the private cloud from the laptop (this is running Server 2012 R2 as well)

Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Great, although I strongly suggest you to put AD in a virtual machine, instead of running it directly on a Hyper-V host. Once you have enabled Hyper-V on a server, nothing else should be located on the parent partition, but be running as virtual machines.

About your laptop, and how you can access your "private cloud" depends on what kind of services you will share. For a true cloud experience, you should also consider a component for self-service in this mix, like App Controller or Windows Azure Pack, as the front-end for the self-service users

Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:33 PM
  • I've decided to put more money into an extra machine so that I can do this way it should be done. Thanks.

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:12 PM