Outlook 2016 Bug? - Reply Flag/Icon not showing using IMAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m using an IMAP email account on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit (v1809 – SO 17763.253) computer using Outlook 2016 (v1808 - 16.0.10730.20280 - 64 bit) and I think I found a bug in Outlook 2016 that makes the Reply flags/icon not to show in certain cases.

When I say Reply Flag/Icon I mean the little arrow icon that shows after you Reply to an email. This icon purpose is to show what emails have already been responded. You can see a image screenshot on the link: https://ibb.co/DwkyZtd

TEST 1 – HERE THE REPLY FLAG/ICON DOES NOT SHOW

1- Send 1 test email to the IMAP account you have in Outlook 2016.
    2- Click on email to open and send a test reply message.
    3- In my case the Reply flag does not show.

TEST 2 – HERE THE REPLY FLAG WILL SHOW OK

But if I open the email, then open other and then get back to the original test email and reply, in that case the Reply flag shows ok. You can test as follows:

1- Send 2 test emails to the IMAP account you have in Outlook 2016.
    2- Click on email test1 to open. Do not reply.
    3- Click on email test2 to open. Do not reply.
    4- Click again on email test1 and reply now.
    5- You will see the Reply flag shows ok.

So, to resume, the bug seems to happen only when we open an email and reply to it directly without changing selection or seeing other emails.

Can anyone please test and confirm this in order to be created a bug so Microsoft can fix it in a future Office 2016 update?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your update.
    The reason why it works in Safe Mode and not in normal modo is that there could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue.

So if it works fine in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins. You'll need to disable all add-ins after restarting Outlook in normal mode, and then enable them one by one to figure out the problematic one. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 15, 2019 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this problem appear since the recent update?
    And please try configuring other types of account like POP then try again and see if there is any difference?

In addition, you may refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:
    1. Press Windows + R on the keyboard to open the Run.
    2. Type “outlook.exe /cleanviews” then click OK.
    3. Type “outlook.exe /resetnavpane” then click OK. 
    Note: There is a space between Outlook and ‘/’.

If the issue persists, please start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:36 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the information. I made all the tests you have said, except testing a POP account since I do not use POP. About when did this problem started, I cannot say since just now I have begin to use Outlook 2016.

What I found is that if I run Outlook in Safe Mode ("outlook /safe") the issue does not happen. So why does it work in Safe Mode and not in normal mode?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Edited by nqservices Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:04 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.
    The reason why it works in Safe Mode and not in normal modo is that there could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue.

So if it works fine in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins. You'll need to disable all add-ins after restarting Outlook in normal mode, and then enable them one by one to figure out the problematic one. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, February 15, 2019 1:42 AM
  • So if it works fine in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins.
    I have removed the Kaspersky Anti-Virus Plugin and now the problem is solved! Thanks for all your help!
    Friday, February 15, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to be of help.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, February 15, 2019 5:38 AM