Problem with anchoring object on page in Word 2010 versus Word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a template created in Word 2010. I have a table in the page header to position some info and I also have a logo anchord some distance from page left and top side.
    When I open it in Word 2013 and keep the compatibility mood it looks fine.
    But if I save it in without compatibility mood the logo moves and anchors to the table border insted. If I recreate the logo in Word 2013 and anchor it to page side, it anchors to the table anyway. I cannot get it to anchor to the page side. The logo is "In front of text".
    This is a problem for me, because we have users in both Word 2010 and 2013. If it is ok in one version it is wrong in the other.

Is this a bug in Word 2013 or I am doing something wrong?

Hans Hansson

Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:01 AM

Answers

• Otherwise, could you extend your table across the entire header and put your logo inside a table cell (without borders)?

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Marked as answer by toyou Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:33 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi, toyou

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Word for Developers, I'll move your question to the Technet forum for Word IT Pro Discussions
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=word

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:11 AM
  • I don't know that I would classify it as a bug. Each version of Word seems to handle layout a bit differently. Word 2013 came with an entirely new layout engine so I do not know that you are doing anything wrong. Do you or your other users use any of the new features of Word 2013? If not, you can put everything into Word 2010 compatibility mode.

Otherwise, you may need separate templates.

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Otherwise, could you extend your table across the entire header and put your logo inside a table cell (without borders)?

• Marked as answer by toyou Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:33 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Thank you Charles for your Quick answer!

The problem is that users are creative and some start using new features and others do not. At the same time in this Environment there are users in both Office 2010 and 2013. I guess this jump around between Word versions means that I have to create twice as many templates as Before. But that is not a solution, because the Word documents are sent to customers who can have even other versions of Word.

/Hans

Hans Hansson

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:58 PM
  • You are learning one of the secrets of Word: You cannot control how a document appears when it is opened on another computer or by another user. If you want something to look the same, you need to send as a .pdf. Documents will respond to the version of Word, to some extent, and to the printer driver that is active. If you have the wrong switches set in your documents, it can be much more dramatic.

What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my formatting?

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Yes I agree with your picture of it.
    It is a real mess with the Word object model, if there is one.

But, if the guys working with this cannot agree on what the side of the paper is ... I guess it is their luck the World is round ;-)

Hans Hansson

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:09 PM