Hyper-V UEFI Virtual Machine Boot Summary RRS feed

• Question

• Friends, I need your help! It is the first time that I post in this forum, maybe you can help me.

Stage:

I want to virtualize a physical server that has a Windows Server 2008 R2 installed with two SATA disks. Both discs are in GPT. When I virtualize with the DISK2VHD with VHDX format and run the virtual machine with Generation 2 it throws the following error:

"Hyper-V UEFI Virtual Machine Boot Summary

SCSI Disk (0,0) The boot loader did not load an operating system

SCSI Disk (0,1) The boot loader did not load an operating system "

Regenerated the virtual machine, now Generation 1, and a black screen remains with the cursor blinking.

What am I doing wrong????.
    Friday, March 13, 2020 4:50 PM

All replies

• The cleaner and recommended method is to stand up a new 2008 R2 on destination host from installation media, patch fully, migrate roles or applications over to it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Sunday, March 15, 2020 12:58 PM
    Saturday, March 14, 2020 1:43 PM
  • Hi dmassa83,

1. It's not recommended to do P2V or V2P to migrate machines, since it will have some unexpected and compatibility issues. We may create a new VM and migrate the roles and features to the VMs manually.

2. Since Server 2008 R2 is out of support, it's recommended to upgrade the system as soon as possible, so that you may get better support.

Thanks for your time! If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 7:09 AM
  • Hi dmassa83,

I am writing to check how things are going on your side? If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to let us know. If not, please mark useful reply as answer.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:32 AM