none
Cannot safely remove hardward by user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are running 10 systems with steady state 2.0 at our public library.  Users come in all the time with usb drives and plug them in.  They are no longer allowed to safely eject hardware anymore. only admins or power users can do this and not users.

I don't want to give them elevated priveledges if I don't have to.

Can just a user on the system use the safely remove hardware function?

they can still access the volume control and make changes there, but not the clock.

Please help.

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:19 PM

All replies

•  

Hi John,

Thanks for posting here!

John, I have noticed that we have discussed the issue in the forum before. Therefore, I'd like to include the link below:

how do I use the safe remove hardware icon with SteadyState on local systems not on a domain. How do you remove USB drives safe

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=17&PostID=2877365

Let’s see if the solution meets your request.

Best regards,

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:01 AM
  • Sean,

I tried adding this icon to the desktop. It doesn't work when logged in as a user. The message I get is "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your systm administrator." This is the same message I get if I left click the icon in the system tray.

Becky Boydston

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:18 PM
  • This is exactly my question, too, but the gievne URL results in an error message. Please enlighten! Thank you.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:56 PM
  •  

HI

If You'er using W2K3 then in the GP under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Disk Quotas enable the Policy "Apply Policy to removable Media"

This should enable the users to safely remove and media attached.

Cheers

Ardur

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work for me. Has the link Sean Zhu posted been moved, or deleted entirely? It would be great to be able to see that original discussion. Thanks!

Hilary Caws-Elwitt
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:58 PM
  •  

Hi all, I'm sorry that the link in the previous post is no longer available as the post was previously posted in beta forum. I suggest you check the following solution works for you:

Safely Remove Hardware Icon not in Taskbar when flashdrive is plugged in

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3952698&SiteID=17

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Thank you, Sean! Here's the workaround I came up with yesterday, which I think we'll stick with: wallpaper which tells the user to left-click and left-click. I'm linking it in case anyone wants to take a look:
    http://www.susqcolibrary.org/images/local/desktop.jpg

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:27 PM