Word Sections RRS feed

• Question

• I am not pleased with how Word handles sections.  It is terribly confusing.   "Continuous" and "Next" do not help.  What needs to happen is an "end" marker for the section.  That way, you retain control.  If you want a three page section, you simply go to the third page and position your cursor where you want the section to end and press something like Insert Section end that's it.  You do need to tell Word where the section begins as well, but this would eliminate so much confusion.  If you don't place and end marker then the section remains for the entire document.
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:28 PM

All replies

• Well, Word uses sections for all sorts of things, some of which start new pages.

Sorry it is too confusing. It is a result of how they are structured and what they are used for.

WordPad does not use sections.

Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word (Ribbon Versions)

What, specifically, are you trying to do with sections. I or someone else may be able to give you some pointers that would make it easier.

Which version of Word are you using?

Here are some more resources:

For logical divisions in a document, I do not use sections but the built-in heading styles. I agree with Paul that unneeded sections make editing documents much more complicated.

I also use the Navigation Pane.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Word already has "an "end" marker for the section" - with the formatting display switched on (click on the ¶ character on the Ribbon's Home tab) so you can see paragraph breaks etc., a Section break looks like a line of === extending to the right margin. You don't need to tell Word where a Section begins; it begins at the start of the document or immediately after a given Section break. Likewise, you don't need to tell Word where a Section ends; it ends at the end of the document or immediately before a given Section break. Simple as.

I suspect your issue is that you haven't taken the time to learn what Section breaks are for; they're not for arbitrarily marking out portions of a document. Using them unnecessarily only creates document maintenance problems.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:24 PM