How can I configure a VM to boot from USB key in Virtual PC of Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to boot up with a USB key to install a new VM on Windows 7. I heared that Microsoft Virtual PC begins to support USB device on Windows 7. How can i configure it? I don't find any virtual USB device in VM settings on my Windows 7 box.

Thanks for any help.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• That's correct, USB device pass-through is a function of the integration components, and they only run under a Windows OS.  You can't boot a VM from a USB device.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Scorprio_Milo Friday, July 16, 2010 2:11 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:51 PM

All replies

• I think you maybe a little confused, you can run a VM off a USB drive (that just means you can store the VHD on the USB drive).

And your post makes no sense,

"I want to boot up with a USB key to install a new VM on Windows 7. I heared that Microsoft Virtual PC begins to support USB device on Windows 7"

Your post states you wish to boot to USB to install a new VM on windows...you must have windows running with the VM engine installed to install a VM.

You would not try to install windows to a USB drive not really supported plus it would be SLOW..

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hi Bubbapcguy,

You mean that if I don't have a installed Windows running as a VM, I cannot use USB device in a blank VM? The Virtual USB device drive embed in OS, right?

Thank you.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:29 AM
  • That's correct, USB device pass-through is a function of the integration components, and they only run under a Windows OS.  You can't boot a VM from a USB device.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Marked as answer by Scorprio_Milo Friday, July 16, 2010 2:11 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Thanks Bob.

Scorprio

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Hi all,

I want to boot up with a USB key to install a new VM on Windows 7. I heared that Microsoft Virtual PC begins to support USB device on Windows 7. How can i configure it? I don't find any virtual USB device in VM settings on my Windows 7 box.

Thanks for any help.

Scorprio

Virtual PC does not support USB.  Windows 7 XP Mode Virtual Machine supports the use of USB devices.  Virtual PC and Windows 7 XP Mode VM are not the same thing!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Well, even though it doesn't support boot from a usb stick, you can create an bootable iso file, assign the created iso file to your virtual machine's cd-rom then boot your machine using cd. Just reset your microsoft vpc and as soon as it resets keep pressing 'del' key to enter setup and change boot priority to cdrom.
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:39 AM
  • Sure, I created the USB from a ISO image... but I wanted to test the ability to boot from the resulting USB.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:30 PM