Outlook Serch Problem in different PST files while mails contain different language code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Our users have the same outlook search problem here.  Please help.

The situation is:

Outlook : 2013 Small Business (English or Chinese Traditional)

Outlook contains a serveral PST files (e.g. outlook.pst, 2015.pst, 2016.pst and 2017.pst).  Outllok.pst is the default pst file.

Problem : When a user want to serarch an email which its subject is Simplified Chinese characters.   If the email is stored in outlook.pst, the serach engine can find this email.  However, if the email is located at different pst file (e.g. 2016.pst), the serach engine cannot find it. 

Thus, I try to move that email to outlook.pst and serach again. The serach function is ok.

Then I try the serach function with english coding email. If the email is english, no matter it is stored, the engine can serach it.

P.S : I have rebulit the serach index according forum suggested and keep the same result. 

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

For Exchange account, do you have cached Exchange mode enabled?

>>Outlook contains a serveral PST files (e.g. outlook.pst, 2015.pst, 2016.pst and 2017.pst).

What do you mean by several PST files? Account PST files or files that opened via File > Open & Import?

Does this issue happen to all users? I've tested it on my Outlook 2013 (MSO15.0.5007.1000), all results are returned correctly when searching by Chinese and English. Please collected detailed version of Outlook so that we can do more research.

When searching, please first check whether the searching scope is correct. If you want results from all PST files, you may choose All Outlook Items or All Mailboxes.

If issue persists, we could try restarting Windows Search service to see the result. Please refer to the steps below.

1. Please go to Control Pane > Indexing Options.

2. Select Modify and then unselect Outlook.

3. Click OK

4. Follow the steps above and re-check Outlook.

5. Restart Outlook.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your support.  We use pop3. So, we have a main/default pst file to store received mail.  For simplicity, we call it outlook.pst.

As we have many emails, we will archive those old emails to other pst files (e.g. 2015.pst, 2016.pst...). 

We can search the current pst file normally.  The problem is that  if we search mails which is Chinese and the mails stored in other pst files, we will have wrong search result.

Of course, we include the all mail boxes when we do searching (I also test with different options such as all outlook items...

However, if we search mails which is English, it is ok.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I’ve searched a lot and currently haven’t found any official articles about this issue.

You can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

As we don't have Windows 7 environment here, I tested it on Win 10 according to your description. Results from Archive folder are returned correctly when searching Chinese word.

Besides, please upgrade Office to the newest version to see if there are any improvements.

What’s more, we could use the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) to get a detailed report of your installed Office programs. Please check the details in the following link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2812744/office-configuration-analyzer-tool-offcat-information

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, March 16, 2018 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Have you tried the suggestion above? Currently, I still cannot reproduce this issue here.

If you have further concern, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I have aslo searched much from internet and tried more than you suggested (except upgrade office and windows).  I don't think it is easy for me to request our users to updgrade the office and windows.  It may cause much money.  I have no reason to ask my boss to pay for it.

I really want MS to fix this issue.  Indeed, it is a program bug.

Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:32 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I can totally understand your frustration.

What's the detailed version of both Outlook and Windows?

I tested this issue on Outlook 2013 (MSO 15.0.4420.1017) with Windows 7. A POP3 account is configured and set as the default PST file. Then I added two extra PST files from local folder to Outlook. Following is the screenshot. When I search the Chinese word “团队“,results from Archives folder and Outlook Date File are returned normally.

This issue cannot be reproduced here currently. Are these the same steps as yours? If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to tell me.

>>I don't think it is easy for me to request our users to updgrade the office and windows.  It may cause much money

Sorry that my previous description may be unclear. As far as I know, the newest version for Outlook 2013 was released on March 2018. You could install this new version for Outlook 2013 without extra payment. Please check the details in this official article.

Besides, where are these extra PST files stored? Local folder or network location?

What's more, for further investigating this issue, we could check the searching log files regarding indexing errors. The log files are generated at the following location:

%TEMP%\outlook logging\

In addition, Outlook can log certain events to the Application log that are useful in troubleshooting search problems.

Please refer to the details under More information section in this link. If there are any error messages, it will be much appreciated if you could provide me the details.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:51 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your information. In order to update to the newest verion of office 2013, I had tried all methods I knew and I am still unable to start the update (I had serched from websites and cannot find and helpful information). The error code listed below for your reference.

Monday, April 9, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Sorry missing the pictures.

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:25 AM
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 2:29 AM