questions after exporting GAL to Public folders on Exchange 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• hey guys,

I went through the process of exporting all GAL to public folders following this procedure http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238773

All working fine, but I have got two questions:

1 distribution groups are still referencing to old distribution lists on the GAL. So if I open a distribution list in public folders, I will find another object, the distribution group of AD, within it. Is it possible to move users (without manual doing it) out of the old group to the new group in public folder (so I can get rid of objects in AD?)

2 Let's say:

-I create a distribution list in public folders

-I put some users in

-I browse the contacts and I double click on a contact (not the distribution list). How can I know which group that contact belongs to? With GAL, clicking on a contact it tells you also on which distribution list that user belongs to, with public folders it doesn't.

thanks very much for your help guys

• Changed type Nick Dazie Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:42 AM no
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:41 AM

All replies

• Can I ask why you are doing this?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:49 PM
  • - many people needs to constantly update shared contacts. Now the company is growing and I don't want to give people access to AD for updating contacts/distribution group.

- They have around 300 distribution groups and 3500 external contacts. In case of AD failure, it will take ages for me to recover their data properly. With public folders is a couple of click (with backup exchange agent).

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Hi Nicola,

I can say that if AD fail, Exchange will not be working until you fix AD first. Then restore Exchange with mailbox and PF with it. It is probably better that you can assign a person there with restricted access to only allow to create contacts and modify DGs.

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:58 AM
  • man that is a really good point.

I don't think there is such a thing in AD thou, I mean to give just users the rights to add only contacts (and they have to remove/edit them as well).

if the AD will fail, and this is obviously the worst case scenario, and let say I can't recover AD properly, I will probably loose everything. With PF, I can manage to mount the db in some ways.

Moreover, dealing with contacts using pf with the (bloody) blackberries is miles better and more flexible.

thanks anyway

• Edited by Nick Dazie Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:40 PM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:40 PM
  •  

2 Let's say:

-I create a distribution list in public folders

-I put some users in

-I browse the contacts and I double click on a contact (not the distribution list). How can I know which group that contact belongs to? With GAL, clicking on a contact it tells you also on which distribution list that user belongs to, with public folders it doesn't.

thanks very much for your help guys

The organization information such as 'Member of' cannot be imported.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:27 AM
  • ok thanks

so contacts in public folders don t have the "member of" properties. This sounds very very stupid, anyway I got used to it from MS products (very good products with very stupid things like this).

Is it working the same way with Exchange 2010? Can i see a DL membership clicking on the single contact with the Exchange 2010?

if no

Is there any stupid external software (another one...more problems...) that integrate with MS Outlook/Exchange that can manage DL better?

thanks

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:08 AM
  • and if it wasn't clear my goal is:

- if I click on a specific user/contact, I want to know in which DL that user/contact is in.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:13 AM