Customizing MMC SnapIns no longer possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I use fsmgmt.msc quite alot and its default appereance is pretty useless (due to its extremely small window).
    Under Windows Vista (and XP aswell) I was able to customize it's appereance by launching it in Authormode then make whatever changes I deemed necessary and save it. However in Windows 7 im not able to customize it in any way because even if I steal the File from TrustedInstaller and give me Full Access to it the Save Option is disabled (even in Authormode).

Why is that and is there any way to customize it other than creating a copy of the snapin under a different Filename?

Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi

The easiest way to accomplish this is to just create the Shared Folders snap-in from within MMC and save it as a console with whatever name you wish. This should give you all of the options you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi

The easiest way to accomplish this is to just create the Shared Folders snap-in from within MMC and save it as a console with whatever name you wish. This should give you all of the options you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Well yeah I know about the Option of creating a new File that has the same functionality but I would rather just have the default name of fsmgmt.msc because it's burned into my brain after all this years and im automatically putting that into the Run Dialog all the time when I need it. I created a new file already which doesn't help me much because I keep ending up in the default window. :S

The same Problem is also present in several others (if not all) default mmc files...

tbh I can't see any reason why it should suddenly be disallowed to change the appereance since it was possible all the time before and its just a change of Window/Tab Sizes. It should be customizeable. :(
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Hi SS

I don't disagree. I supported Vista from the beginning and it was quiet a trauma trying to get used to the new ways of doing things, even after being involved in that very long beta.

When you ask the 'why was this changed' question, the answer is always ???.  :)

Nobody really knows except the people who actually made that decision. I do know that most of these decisions are not made lightly and they are usually based on an overall plan for that particular component.

I usually spend some time perusing the MSDN blog tags. These blogs are all authored by the MS Developers and sometimes you can pick up on the reasons that certain decisions were made. Sometimes these reasons make sense and other times they are just completely inexplicable. :)

Regards, 

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, September 20, 2009 4:11 AM