Lost Windows Application Folder from My MAC toolbar. RRS feed

• Question

• I accidently moved the folder slightly and it went with the sound of "woosh" and then disappeared.  Tried getting it back by reinstalling my Windows 7 program, but it do not do it.  I can find the windows application folder with the Spotlight application in the upper right corner of my MAC but there is no way to grab it and restore it to the dock. 
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:49 AM

Answers

• Try opening the Recycle Bin and seeing if it can be restored from there.

And please describe this hybrid Mac/Windows environment that you're running in more detail.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, September 2, 2011 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, September 12, 2011 6:56 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Also you can try to perform a system restore for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:22 AM

All replies

• Try opening the Recycle Bin and seeing if it can be restored from there.

And please describe this hybrid Mac/Windows environment that you're running in more detail.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, September 2, 2011 5:41 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Also you can try to perform a system restore for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Dear Noel,

One of the first things I checked was the recycle bin and it was not there.  I deleted the Windows application and tried reinstalling it but it still did not restore the folder.  I then deleted everything in the trash.  For MACs you use the Parallels Desktop program to run Windows in a Virtual Machine.  With Parallels you can run the MAC software and the Windows software separately or together.  I liked the idea of running them together so you can see all programs and switch back and forth.  When I put that disk in the computer, I picked the de-install option.  This removed all the Parallels software from the computer.  I then re-installed the program.  After it was installed, I clicked on the program in Applications and then did the create Virtual Machine.  It then asked me to insert the Windows 7 program.  After it was completely installed the missing Windows folder was restored.  When you click on the folder it gives you all the Windows applications for you to choose from.  You can create many Virtual Machines for all programs that normally will not run on a MAC.

Hooray!!!  Got it all fixed.

Richard F. Elfving
    Monday, September 12, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks for the follow-up.  I'm very familiar with VMware fusion, and Parallels is similar.

I was just wondering whether you'd found an even better-integrated solution, e.g., based on Wine or something.

-Noel

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:47 PM