none
7 Million emails in a public folder. How can i remove them? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a public folder that a script sends numerous updates to. The idea was for users to check this folder and delete them, but they never did and its too large to delete manually. The main problem is that this folder is duplicated in a users mailbox, and it has been difficult to migrate his mailbox to the new server, and I thought this may be the culprit.

I first tried deleting all contents on the public folder from OWA. But that then made the public folders extremely slow, and causing outlook clients to become unresponsive.

My coworker started up a delete rule he had used before to clear out this folder, but that caused the same problem on the public folder performance.

Is there anyway on exchange or in outlook to clear out these emails without impacting the performance so heavily?

Our other option is to try and run the delete rule over the weekend, but after running for a day it didnt delete anything.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:01 PM

Answers

• On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:25:16 +0000, ryan461 wrote:

>This is what I want to set in the future. I tried it now, but it also caused performance issues with the public folders.

So set the limits to five years and let it run. Then change it to 3
    years a few days later and let it run. Repeat the process until the
    number of message is reasonable and you're satisfied with the age
    limit.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by ryan461 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:14 AM
  • So the messages go as far back as april last year. So I set the limit to 270 days (9 months). Nothing has removed yet, its only been applied for 30 minutes or so. But I found one note that makes me wonder how this works:

Replicated items are tracked separately from items that are posted to this public folder. When an item is posted to this public folder, the age limit does not apply until the item has been replicated.

So is the age limit going to delete the mail in this folder? or just ones that are replicated to another server?

Yes, the age limit will apply to that folder. That statement simply means that if that it wont process the items in that folder until it has replicated ( assuming that you *are* replicating the folder to another store)

Aging Limits cleanup run during store online maint., so dont expect immediate results ( In fact let it!) - also you havent mentioned your Exchange version , but there is bug with Exchange 2007 with aging limits that was fixed in SP2 RU2.

• Marked as answer by ryan461 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:31 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:44 PM

All replies

• Set aging limits or simply delete the folder completely.

Aging Limits:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998596.aspx

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:49 PM
  • This is what I want to set in the future. I tried it now, but it also caused performance issues with the public folders.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Those are really the only options available.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:33 PM
  • On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:25:16 +0000, ryan461 wrote:

>This is what I want to set in the future. I tried it now, but it also caused performance issues with the public folders.

So set the limits to five years and let it run. Then change it to 3
    years a few days later and let it run. Repeat the process until the
    number of message is reasonable and you're satisfied with the age
    limit.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by ryan461 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:14 AM
  • So the messages go as far back as april last year. So I set the limit to 270 days (9 months). Nothing has removed yet, its only been applied for 30 minutes or so. But I found one note that makes me wonder how this works:

Replicated items are tracked separately from items that are posted to this public folder. When an item is posted to this public folder, the age limit does not apply until the item has been replicated.

So is the age limit going to delete the mail in this folder? or just ones that are replicated to another server?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:56 PM

Yes, the age limit will apply to that folder. That statement simply means that if that it wont process the items in that folder until it has replicated ( assuming that you *are* replicating the folder to another store)

Aging Limits cleanup run during store online maint., so dont expect immediate results ( In fact let it!) - also you havent mentioned your Exchange version , but there is bug with Exchange 2007 with aging limits that was fixed in SP2 RU2.

• Marked as answer by ryan461 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:31 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Ah Ok, I had thought it might run during the maintenance period over night.

We are currently running Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6. It does replicate with an old Exchange 2003, which will be decomissioned soon.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:28 PM