MDT 2013 Network Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying a non-domain client and would like to deploy Trend Officescan during the deployment. The trend msiexec is located on a network share. Is there a task sequence to connect to a network share or do I need to create a script to connect to the network share?

Also, I will be using WSUS to get updates on this same machine. Again since this is a non domain joined computer, how do I specify the WSUS server? Some of the forums I have seen mention that I need to manually update the registry to add all of the WSUS parameters. Is this correct?

Sunday, December 6, 2015 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi.

You can run it from a .CMD file where your are mapping the network share as a drive with a user and password or ensure that the user running the application in MDT (local administrator) has read permission on your Trend network share. I have done this more at more than one installation.

But why not create a application with the source files from your MDT share??

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:09 PM

All replies

• Make sure that the location of the Trend MSI is shared and read only for everyone, then you'll just be able to run 

msiexec /i \\server\share\trend.msi /qn

As for patches, if you add the WSUSServer variable to your CS.ini then MDT will take care of the rest. The fact that it's not on the domain won't matter, the keys will be set and it can pull the patches down no problem.

Monday, December 7, 2015 10:07 AM
  • My experience is when you install Trend it breaks your network connection for a bit.  Which breaks your deployment.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Hi.

You can run it from a .CMD file where your are mapping the network share as a drive with a user and password or ensure that the user running the application in MDT (local administrator) has read permission on your Trend network share. I have done this more at more than one installation.

But why not create a application with the source files from your MDT share??

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:09 PM
  • It all depends on how you plan on connecting to \\server\share

If the local PC already has a cached connection to the \\server\share machine, then you are OK, otherwise you will need to manually establish a connection.

Better is to just setup the correct environment in MDT APplications (Application without source files or elsewhere on the network):

COmmand Line: msiexec.exe /qb /I trend.msi

WOrking Directory: \\server\share\Trend

However, if as Ty mentions above, trend breaks network connectivity for a bit, then all bets are off, I would cache locally, and reboot the machine when finished.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:41 PM