How to manage Windows 10 Update Branches and Deferred Updates with WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• What does WSUS have to manage staging updates for Current Branch vs Current Branch For Business vs Release Preview branches?

We can set target group of course, but how can you manage scheduling for different flights and branches in some kind of organized and efficient method that lines up with the different release schedules for each update branch?

For instance, how do you find which updates should be released to each branch and set the approvals to match?

Seems like it would be difficult to filter through the updates, set CBB target groups as Not Approved for four months and then remember to return to these updates four months in the future and then manually approve them and set a deadline.

Is there a better way?

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi MyGposts,

The following statement might be of help:

"Most organizations today leverage Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or System Center Configuration Manager to update their PCs.  With Windows 10, this does not need to change; all updates are controlled through approvals or automatic deployment rules configured in those products, so new upgrades will not be deployed until the organization chooses.  The Defer upgradessetting can function as an additional validation check, so that Current Branch for Business machines that are targeted with a new upgrade prior to the end of the initial four-month deferral period will decline to install it; they can install the upgrade any time within the eight-month window after that initial four-month deferral period. "

You may check the detailed information in the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt574263(v=vs.85).aspx#current_branch_versus_current_branch_for_business

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi MyGposts,

Based on my understanding, you want to know how to enable CBB for win10 clients. Correct me if I misunderstand.

We may configure it on client side instead of WSUS server side.

On WIN 10, open settings> select update & security > under windows update select advanced options > check defer upgrades.

We may also use local group policy to enable defer upgrades. Group policy location:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:35 AM
  • No.

The question is how do you manage these systems in WSUS after you enable that setting?

Is WSUS "aware" of CBB being enabled?  How do you control and separate update approvals for CB vs CBB?

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

I didn't find official article about how to manage win10 updates on WSUS.

Just my opinion, in WSUS server, we may approve these updates whenever the WSUS server snyc them from MU. Since we configure "Defer upgrade" on client, the UA of win10 will design when to push the update from WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, February 19, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

I didn't find official article about how to manage win10 updates on WSUS.

Just my opinion, in WSUS server, we may approve these updates whenever the WSUS server snyc them from MU. Since we configure "Defer upgrade" on client, the UA of win10 will design when to push the update from WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

I'm not sure it works that way.  I have also heard that the defer upgrades option has no connection to WSUS at all.  Defer Upgrades configuration may only work when the client checks for updates via Microsoft Update.
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Hi MyGposts,

The following statement might be of help:

"Most organizations today leverage Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or System Center Configuration Manager to update their PCs.  With Windows 10, this does not need to change; all updates are controlled through approvals or automatic deployment rules configured in those products, so new upgrades will not be deployed until the organization chooses.  The Defer upgradessetting can function as an additional validation check, so that Current Branch for Business machines that are targeted with a new upgrade prior to the end of the initial four-month deferral period will decline to install it; they can install the upgrade any time within the eight-month window after that initial four-month deferral period. "

You may check the detailed information in the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt574263(v=vs.85).aspx#current_branch_versus_current_branch_for_business

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:16 AM