Resistry Keeps Reverting After Reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to change a few settings to replicate how another xp machine is,  however most settings in the needed hive keep reverting back to their value when I reboot and if I delete the value, it reappears after reboot also.

The hive is \\my computer\HKLM/software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon

I get a file called test.sdb on the desktop if I change some gpedit settings but I'm not sure which ones specifically. if this is unrelated to the issue please ignore it.

How do I find the cause of this or stop regedit from reverting these reg keys?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:55 PM

Answers

• This can be due to group policies, SCCM scripts, startup scripts, or any schedules task. Please verify if anyone of these is causing trouble.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 6, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I installed .net 1.1 and it works somewhat now, I was trying to configure it not to use automatic logon but use the welcome screen not classic logon though that can be in with ctrl alt delete so I installed .net now it works fine now even on a domain.

as for the test.sdb file, I just reset gpedit to how it is when you first install windows and I don't see that sdb file anymore.

Thanks.

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

• This can be due to group policies, SCCM scripts, startup scripts, or any schedules task. Please verify if anyone of these is causing trouble.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 6, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi

I don't have power shell or any start-up scripts or scheduled tasks,, I get this file when I change gpedit but I'm not sure why, Iv'e tried to replicate some registry and group policy settings from a computer which works as I need it and doesn't show this file but they change back if I reboot, I have tried gpolicy /update too.

Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Which key are you looking at?

Monday, December 9, 2013 4:03 PM
  • \\my computer (local)\HKLM/software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\

and

local computer policy/computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local policies/security options/

in gpedit mainly keys for interactive logon.

Monday, December 9, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Can be group policies only, can you remove the system from domain and check? OR move the system a OU without any GP's

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

I installed .net 1.1 and it works somewhat now, I was trying to configure it not to use automatic logon but use the welcome screen not classic logon though that can be in with ctrl alt delete so I installed .net now it works fine now even on a domain.

as for the test.sdb file, I just reset gpedit to how it is when you first install windows and I don't see that sdb file anymore.

Thanks.

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Great :)

Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:49 PM