Can't uninstall Display Languages RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to uninstall Display Languages in my Windows 7 Ultimate, which I installed through Windows Update.

I have Russian and Ukrainian Display Languages installed, with English being the main Display Language all the time.

I typed LPKSETUP in Search and clicked Uninstall Display Languages, but all I see there - is English (Type MUI), which is a system language.

I can't select Ukrainian or Russian, as they are not in that list. WTF?

List of languages for Uninstallation

List of available languages

Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may use DISM to remove the package.

1. Run cmd with Administrator privilege.
    2. Use "dism /online get-packages" option to get packages infomatiom.
    3. Then use "dism /online remove-package" to remove then language pack.

Also, you may refer to the following link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799277(WS.10).aspx 

Otherwise, You may try to modify the registry to redownload the updates.

1. Click start Menu, and open regedit with Administrator privilege.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\
    3. Delete the Language package keys.
    4. Then try to redownload the updates, and then uninstall it.

Please refer to the following link.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06/fix-blank-or-empty-list-in-vista-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-optionalfeaturesexe/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest to use Programs and Features in the Control Panel to uninstall the related updates.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:51 AM
  • I can't find any installed display languages in there.

Neither in Program and Features itself, nor in View installed updates section.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Can you see the update KB972813 in Installed updates list?

If you can not, please try to reinstall the language pack, then try to uninstall it.

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:32 AM
  • I see it in Update history

Russian Language Pack - Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB972813)

Installation date: ‎02.‎01.‎2011 16:27

Installation status: Successful

Ukrainian Language Pack - Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB972813)
    Installation date: ‎02.‎01.‎2011 16:58
    Installation status: Successful

But I don't see them in View installed updates in Programs and Features (even searching by KB code).

Now I even can't find any of other Display Languages when I try to restore hidden updates. It says I have not hidden any of them.
    I must admit that I installed SP1 already. 
    That was the main purpose of uninstalling languages. Cause I had Wave0 first, but then I got Wave1 and it installed successfully.

But the main problem was when I didn't have SP1 yet. 

Now of course I can't install them again, as they are not in Windows Update. Even if I could unhide hidden updates (which included all of the other Display Languages besides those that I already installed) I wouldn't be able to reinstall them. How can I reinstall an update that has already been installed? At least not in Windows Update, I guess. Maybe through Microsoft Update website...
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

You may use DISM to remove the package.

1. Run cmd with Administrator privilege.
    2. Use "dism /online get-packages" option to get packages infomatiom.
    3. Then use "dism /online remove-package" to remove then language pack.

Also, you may refer to the following link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799277(WS.10).aspx 

Otherwise, You may try to modify the registry to redownload the updates.

1. Click start Menu, and open regedit with Administrator privilege.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\
    3. Delete the Language package keys.
    4. Then try to redownload the updates, and then uninstall it.

Please refer to the following link.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06/fix-blank-or-empty-list-in-vista-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-optionalfeaturesexe/

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:30 AM