none
MDT error "0xc000000f", temporary BCD files deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MDT experts,
    I have a MDT setup here which worked fine until I updated the Windows image to 1903 recently.

Now the PXE boot on clients fails with error "0xc000000f" about missing boot configuration data files in the folder Tmp\ of the remote installation share. File names are "<architecture>{<some UUID>}.bcd", e.g. "x64uefi{ABC-XYZ-...}.bcd".

Screenshot will follow when I can post images.

MDT somhow seems to need those files in order to boot, the problem is that they're deleted periodically and if they're missing PXE boot will fail with above error.

Also after e.g. replacing the boot images in the MDT configuration, these files are regenerated. The same happens when restarting the MDT services. I also should add that the I've set up a distributed environment and the remote installation folder is replicated to other servers via DFS-R. That shouldn't be a problem though.

What could be the cause of this? I couldn't find anything in the configuration, nor while searching the web.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Edit: Even after completely reconfiguring the MDT server settings and Remote Installation share, the same error occurs.

Monday, September 16, 2019 11:43 AM

Answers

• So... somehow this seems to be solved so far, the problem is that I changed so many variables that I don't know which actually solved the problem, but it is one of the following:

- "wdsutil /uninitialize-server", the reconfigure
    - completely recreate the WDS/RemoteInstallation share
    - completely reassign/recreate permissions for the whole folder

Also did some other things that I wouldn't consider relevant for the solution to the problem.

But perhaps this helps someone else.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:43 AM

All replies

• (sorry, new account, the old one wasn't tied to my Microsoft account)

The actual question is: Where does MDT/WDS store that the BCD files should be in \Tmp\file.bcd ? Should'nt it be \boot\x64\default.bcd for example? For example here the path is different: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8d30795-bda8-4162-80bb-2af6b90f1365/mdt-2012-file-bootbcd-status-0xc000000f-error?forum=mdt

How can I edit/reset this path?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:05 AM
  • So... somehow this seems to be solved so far, the problem is that I changed so many variables that I don't know which actually solved the problem, but it is one of the following:

- "wdsutil /uninitialize-server", the reconfigure
    - completely recreate the WDS/RemoteInstallation share
    - completely reassign/recreate permissions for the whole folder

Also did some other things that I wouldn't consider relevant for the solution to the problem.

But perhaps this helps someone else.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:43 AM
  • UPDATE

What I described above was the effect of disabling DFS-R. But as replication is the point of the whole thing, it had to be re-enabled. By accident I stumbled upon a reddit post where it's mentioned that the \Tmp and \Mgmt folders in the RemoteInstall share have to be excluded from DFS-R. So if you do that, the BCD files will be generated individually on all servers and everything works fine.

Cheers

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:19 AM