Bugs with using Outlook webmail through Eastern Maine Community College on my Mac RRS feed

• Question

• GREETINGS. I am an adjunct faculty member at Eastern Maine Community College (EMCC). Faculty access EMCC email through a Microsoft Outlook interface.

I need to go to my campus email to load the Outlook webmail interface to check my mail. Due to the nature of this thread submission form, I am unable to tell you the webpage that I use to access my campus webmail form I used, because when I try to include a URL to the form, I receive an error: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account," and I cannot post my thread unless I remove the link.

I have been experiencing two ongoing problems with this interface on my Mac laptop using Safari since coming to EMCC.

I was told by IT to contact Microsoft with regard to my issues. I sent emails to Microsoft through the online form regarding bugs that I am having using Outlook webmail through Eastern Maine Community College on my Mac on Tue. October 10, 2017 and Fri. October 20, 2017, but I have not yet received a response from Microsoft.

Due to the nature of this thread submission form, I am unable to tell you which form I used, because when I try to include a URL to the form, I receive an error: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account," and I cannot post my thread unless I remove the link.

Then I tried emailing Microsoft Forums, but I was directed here to ask my questions, which are as follows:

1. When I compose an email, and I use the option-left and option-right keys to jump the cursor between individual words in a line of text, the webmail interface creates an invisible question mark symbol ? at the location of the option-left and option-right keys. It's invisible, because I don't see it. When I am composing or replying to a line in a message, I will press Option-leftarrow on my Mac laptop keyboard using Safari, to jump the cursor to another word. No ? symbol will appear on the composition window; however, the webmail interface will put a ? there (which I do not see) and send that **along with** the rest of my reply to the recipient, and the recipient will see the ? at the location of the cursor in the email where I pressed Option-leftarrow. I know the recipient will see the ? because the recipient will reply to that email, and the copy of my email sent back to me will show the ? where I did not type a ? symbol. The IT department at EMCC said that they had "never seen that before." The problem happens in Safari on Mac, but not Firefox on Mac.

Due to the nature of this thread submission form, I am unable to show you a picture of the problem that I am having, because when I try to include an image to show you the problem that I am having, I receive an error: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account," and I cannot post my thread unless I remove the image.

2. Second, sometimes, when I use the Outlook webmail interface to check my email, or compose or reply to a message, the Outlook webmail interface will boot me out, or I will have to log in twice immediately in sequence. Any of these problems seem to happen 10% of the time, which is frustrating (should be 0%). I was told earlier today by EMCC IT that to get around these issues, I should use Firefox, not Safari, because they said that their software just seems to work better with Firefox, and they are not intending to make their software work any better on a Mac than as they have their system set up. I was also told to contact Microsoft with regard to the issues that I am having. However, I do not use Windows.

Why is the EMCC outlook interface not working properly with Safari, in terms of the "?" symbol, and also why I have to double-log on when I use Safari?

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your detailed description about the Outlook email display issue when typing in Safari of Mac machine. This forum focuses on the general discussion for Outlook desktop client such as Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 client.

I notice your issue is related to typing issue in Outlook webmail with Safari browser on Mac. I would like to know what the Outlook Webmail is. Is it the Outlook.com or Hotmail.com mailbox webpage? Or Exchange Online mailbox in Outlook on the web?

If this is related to Microsoft Account Outlook.com webmail, I suggest you can ask a question in Outlook.com forum for more help:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-ocompose 

If it is the Office 365 for Business mailbox, it is better to ask a question in Office 365 for Business forum for more suggestion:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_mac-mso_o365b 

Additionally, I notice that there is no issue in Firefox on Mac and only Safari encounter the issue. Personal suggestion, you can try to access other mailbox webmail such as Gmail, Yahoo mail in Safari, confirm if the issue persists to narrow down the issue.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

How about the issue currently? 

If the issue has been resolved, would you mind to share the solution here and mark it as answer to close the thread? It would help others who read this thread.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Here is an update.

The webmail url is: https://exchange.emcc.edu/

The login screen says: "Outlook Web App"

It is not at Outlook.com or Hotmail.com

The issue with Safari does not happen with my Gmail account. Just through EMCC.
    Friday, November 24, 2017 10:21 PM
  • Greetings again.

I have not yet received a response to my reply on Fri. November 24, 2017 at 5:21pm edt with updated information concerning the issue that I am having with using Safari on my EMCC Webmail.

Can someone email me back with an explanation as to why I am still having the problems described in this thread?
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Greetings once again.

I still have not yet received a response to my inquiry. I am still having the following problems, none of which have been resolved:

1. My EMCC email, which EMCC programs to have running the Outlook interface, keeps spontaneously logging me out when I use Safari, but not Firefox.

2. Also in Safari, invisible "?" keep appearing to the recipient (but not to me in the compose window) when I press Option-right or Option-left (which I press to navigate quickly between words while composing an email).

What is going on?
    Monday, January 15, 2018 4:16 PM