none
Creators Update: MBR to GPT issue

Question

• Just updated to Win 10 Pro Creators Update from Win 10 Pro Anniversary Edition on Dell 64-bit laptop.

Trying to use the new disk conversion tool to convert from MBR/Legacy to GPT/UEFI.

Opened CMD (Admin) and typed in: mbr2gpt /validate /allowFULLOS

Get error message: Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0

HDD has only 2 partitions:

1. System Reserved (350 MB, NTFS), 
    2. C: (296 GB, NTFS)

And there's Unpartitioned (1.47 GB).

There's no Restore partition which may be what the tool wants. Is there any way to create it?

I don't want to wipe the HDD and start over.

Thanks.

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:36 PM

Answers

• Ok, your thought is reasonable, since current situation doesn’t influence your daily use and it’s a little cumbersome to create recovery partition, keep it is a proper way.

Please mark your reply to close this case, I am glad to assist you with problem, you are welcome.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Hero1318 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:21 AM

All replies

• Yes, I see an user meet with the same error message as you, he finally solved problem by creating a new recovery partition, you could have a try.

Create A New Recovery Partition

Note: here we take Windows 8 for example.

Step 1: Download your Windows ISO directly from Microsoft, which will require your product key to install. (Note: In many cases, this is included with your Windows computer.)

Step 2: Use Microsoft’s tool to create installation media for Windows.

Step 3: Look for the Sources folder, where you’ll find install.esd. This is the recovery partition, basically, but in its current state it is useless. To make it work for you, you have to first move it from the ISO or DVD to a location on your hard disk. Next, you need to convert it from install.esd to install.wim via some converters like WimConverter tool, and then copy the install.wim file to a new folder on your C:\ drive, labeled C:\Win81-Recovery. The next stage is to register the file so that Windows knows it is there and can create a recovery drive.

Step 4: Right-click the Windows Start screen button and select Command Prompt (Admin) on the desktop. Next, in the command line, enter:

REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win81-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1

Tip: This will register the INSTALL.WIM file as your PC’s recovery image.

Step 5: Type: REAGENTC /Info.

Step 6: Type: exit.

source:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/accidentally-deleted-recovery-partition.html

Note the replies from gdc88 in comments section

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81502-convert-windows-10-legacy-bios-uefi-without-data-loss-2.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Hi Hero, 

Also, if the issue still persists, please help to collect the log file onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

By default, it will be logged into Setupact.log under %windir%, but you can use /logs switch to relocate the log file. 

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Thanks to both of you for the info.

Looks like a lot of work just to recreate a new recovery partition.

Been running Win 10 with MBR/Legacy since early Win 10 beta releases so I might as will just leave it the way it is...

Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Ok, your thought is reasonable, since current situation doesn’t influence your daily use and it’s a little cumbersome to create recovery partition, keep it is a proper way.

Please mark your reply to close this case, I am glad to assist you with problem, you are welcome.

• Marked as answer by Hero1318 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Try to change your PC name
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Thanks, but...

A month or so later,  my laptop totally crashed. Won't recognize the hdd, and said "wrong battery" and "wrong power adapter" (both original). With battery removed and PC connected to AC, I could get into BIOS but it still wouldn't boot from the hdd.

Ended up wiping the hdd, reformatting it as GPT and doing a clean install of CU from a DVD. That solved both problems, but not exactly the way I had hoped...

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:32 PM