Help with PS Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

We have a requirement to pull the MS Office versions and the keys used in our environment and i am having hard time in pulling the info.

Here's my script:

$computers = gc "C:\computer.txt"
    foreach($computer in $computers )
    {
    Invoke-Command -comp name -script {$env:computername}
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus
    }

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus - is used to pull the last 5digits of the key

But when i run the script it only displays the office key from my local machine, for all the supplied machines.

Can anyone please help.

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:36 AM

Answers

• Yes, i don't have any experience or training in powershell, that's the reason why i'm asking for help!

And i used ScritpBlock itselft to execute the VB script not the filepath! its shown in my comment above.

Invoke-Command -ComputerName SYD-L9180.corp.com -ScriptBlock {cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus}

Is this the appropriate way to use it?

Regards, Prasad

This would be the correct method to execute a remote VBS script.

A cleaner way would be to do this:

$sb = {
    }
    Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock $sb -ComputerName SYD-L9180.corp.com
    This makes the code easier to edit and read.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by RealStruggler Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:53 PM

All replies

• Whenever you wan to use a new command I recommend reading the complete help first.

help invoke-command -online

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:41 AM
  • Hi Jrv,

I tried this, i couldn't understand much from help as i'm new to powershell

Invoke-Command -scriptBlock {cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus}

But for the provided list of computers, it keeps displaying results from my local machine.

Can you please advice.

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Please read the help again until you understand what it is telling you. You found one of your many mistakes. Stop guessing. The help has exp[licit examples. You must learn any technology before attempting to use it. Don't make others read the documentation to you.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Okay thanks for your advice!

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:03 AM
  • Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content Servers.txt) -FilePath C:\Scripts\Sample.ps1 -ArgumentList Process, Service

So i tried this, it says cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty.

Invoke-Command -ComputerName SYD-L9180.corp.com -ScriptBlock {cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus}

Can you let me know if this single command is correct?

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:29 AM
  • no. If you read the help you will see that the "FilePath" parameter is wrong for a remote command that executes a VB script.

You must use a ScriptBlock.

Most of your problem is that you don't have any experience or training in PowerShell.

Learning to script properly with PowerShell

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Yes, i don't have any experience or training in powershell, that's the reason why i'm asking for help!

And i used ScritpBlock itselft to execute the VB script not the filepath! its shown in my comment above.

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:36 AM
  • Or this

Invoke-Command -ComputerName (Get-Content C:\computer.txt) -ScriptBlock{C:\Scripts\Sample.ps1 -ArgumentList Process, Service}

Regards, Prasad

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:39 AM

Regards, Prasad

This would be the correct method to execute a remote VBS script.

A cleaner way would be to do this:

$sb = {
    }
    Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock $sb -ComputerName SYD-L9180.corp.com
    This makes the code easier to edit and read.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by RealStruggler Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:53 PM