Can I clone an existing Prod Farm Server, Rename it and then join it back to the Farm as a new server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SP2007 Prod Farm using four Win2008r1 servers. I need to replace one that has some OS corruption. 
    My server engineer won't build another r1 server, only r2.  I want the farm as consisten as possible. 

Can we clone a good, existing Prod Farm Server, create a new virtual server, rename the box with sysprep and then join it back to the farm as a new server?

what else on the server needs to be renamed?

Do I need to run STSADM renameserver on it before joining it to the farm?

Will it conflict with the existing source server when it is joined to the farm or pose any issues to the farm?

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No not stsadm

1. to disconnect from the farm run >> psconfig -cmd configdb -disconnect from an elevated Dos Prompt

if you have not added the path to the BIN (C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN) chage directories and run the command

1. Leave the Domain and Rename the Server (make sure you have disconnected from the network you do not want to remove the original server name from AD
    2. Rejoin the domain (networking is on)
    3. run psconfigui from the bin location
    4. you will need the farm passphrase to join a new server to the farm

There will not be any conflict because you disconnected from the farm and left the domain...

ivan

-Ivan

Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:10 AM