none
GPP Printers Don't Have Installable Options

Question

• Here is my problem so far.  I have shared network printers on a server that are being deployed via GPP as local printers.  The reason they are being deployed as local printers is so we can rename the printers on the client to more meaningful names than what is on the server.  We are a University and we provide printing services to a lot of students and the name of the printers are far more useful as locations than our mandated naming convention on the server.

The main issue is that a lot of our printers have installable options such as paper trays, hole punch units, and stapling units.  None of these settings carry over to the clients regardless of them being set on the server.  However, if you connect to the printer after log in by navigating to the server, the installable options show up properly.

Is there a way to have these installable options show up properly on the clients, given the way way we have them deployed?

I am going to look into setting the installable options via a script, but I am not sure of how likely a solution this will be.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:58 PM

Answers

• Martin, thanks for the reply.  I actually contemplated using a script that leveraged printui.  However, in the end, I found another solution, that I'll post here, just in case someone else runs across the same issue.  My solution involves using GPP to modify the registry during login to assign the correct installable options.

The most difficult part was locating the registry key(s) that held the information for the installable options.  We are using Xerox printers, so other brands and models may store this information somewhere else.  The key I found that I needed to modify was HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\NameOfPrinter\PrinterDriverData\XrxDeviceSettings.  XrxDeviceSettings is a Reg_Binary key and it took some testing to find out that it was storing the information I wanted.

Next, I setup all the installable options on the printer and then exported the XrxDeviceSettings.  Since it was a binary key, the data was a long hex number.  I then added to my GPO a registry preference setting to update that key with proper hex information at login.

In addition to this, I had to slightly modify how my printers were being delivered.  Originally, my printers were being updated during login.  This worked fine for everyone except the first user of the day (a lab environment) when the printer is actually installed for the first time.  I believe the registry setting was getting set before the printer was fully installed, so when the printer finished installing, it wiped out the registry setting.To fix this issue, I set the printers in the GPO to be applied when the computer boots up. 

TLDR:

In summary, I found the registry key with the settings I needed.  I Changed when my printers get installed to when the computer boots up.  Finally, I set a the registry key when the user logs in.  This allows me the ability to keep the printer naming convention in our lab.

• Marked as answer by AndyHJ Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:44 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:44 PM

All replies

• > Is there a way to have these installable options show up properly on the
    > clients, given the way way we have them deployed?

Not without a startup script that leverages "printui /Sr" to restore
    printer settings you previously exported on the correctly configured
    printer through "printui /Ss".

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:12 AM
  • Martin, thanks for the reply.  I actually contemplated using a script that leveraged printui.  However, in the end, I found another solution, that I'll post here, just in case someone else runs across the same issue.  My solution involves using GPP to modify the registry during login to assign the correct installable options.

The most difficult part was locating the registry key(s) that held the information for the installable options.  We are using Xerox printers, so other brands and models may store this information somewhere else.  The key I found that I needed to modify was HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\NameOfPrinter\PrinterDriverData\XrxDeviceSettings.  XrxDeviceSettings is a Reg_Binary key and it took some testing to find out that it was storing the information I wanted.

Next, I setup all the installable options on the printer and then exported the XrxDeviceSettings.  Since it was a binary key, the data was a long hex number.  I then added to my GPO a registry preference setting to update that key with proper hex information at login.

In addition to this, I had to slightly modify how my printers were being delivered.  Originally, my printers were being updated during login.  This worked fine for everyone except the first user of the day (a lab environment) when the printer is actually installed for the first time.  I believe the registry setting was getting set before the printer was fully installed, so when the printer finished installing, it wiped out the registry setting.To fix this issue, I set the printers in the GPO to be applied when the computer boots up. 

TLDR:

In summary, I found the registry key with the settings I needed.  I Changed when my printers get installed to when the computer boots up.  Finally, I set a the registry key when the user logs in.  This allows me the ability to keep the printer naming convention in our lab.

• Marked as answer by AndyHJ Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:44 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:44 PM
  • > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\NameOfPrinter\PrinterDriverData\XrxDeviceSettings.
    > XrxDeviceSettings is a Reg_Binary key and it took some testing to find
    > out that it was storing the information I wanted.

Basically, that's the same that printui /Ss - /Sr does. We opted to use
    printui because we manage printers through startup/logon scripts. But if
    you want to use native GP technology, that's perfectly fine, too :)

> I believe the registry setting was getting set before the printer was
    > fully installed, so when the printer finished installing, it wiped out
    > the registry setting.

Yes - due to CSE processing order, registry is processed before
    printers. You could deploy the printer in computer configuration and the
    registry value in user configuration to avoid this issue...

To fix this issue, I set the printers in the GPO to
    > be applied when the computer boots up.

...as you already did :D

Well done!

Martin

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:14 AM
  • Yes - due to CSE processing order, registry is processed before
    printers.

This is great information.  I was unaware of the processing order.   I'll have to look that up so I am better acquainted with it.  Thank you.

-Andy

Monday, March 02, 2015 4:44 PM
  • > I'll have to look that up so I am better acquainted with it.  Thank you.

Martin

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 11:45 AM