none
SharePoint 2013 - Physical Memory very high

Question

• Hi Guys,

Physical memory on my SharePoint sever is very high, it nearly reaching the threshold. I got 16 GB of physical memory. I now reach on 14 GB. I got my database SQL 2012 and SharePoint 2013 installed on the same server.

3 days ago the physical memory was reaching 15.7 GB and I was having error message "unexpected response from the server", I was unable to do any transaction on my site. I restart the server and my physical memory reduce and was 6 GB. After 2 days that is today the physical memory comes to 14 GB on Task Manager, its again reaching the threshold and I do not want to experience same error message  "unexpected response from the server", and I will have to restart the server again. Its very annoying for my client to go downtime for 8 to 10 minutes all the time.

On resource monitor I can observe that my sqlservr.exe is taking lot of spaces (size).

I searched on TechNet, why my physical memory is very high all time and solution that I got is on link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18899.sharepoint-2013-limit-sql-server-memory-allocation.aspx

I have applied above link but no effect takes place on limiting my database server to some GB. After one week I am still having high physical memory. Please Help.

Regards.

Bhavnasu

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:41 AM

All replies

• High Memory is normal, especially in single server designs which aren't recommended for production use. I don't think your farm is going to be suitable for use with that little memory.

You should look at setting the SQL maximum memory to something very low like 2 or 4GB. SQL memory caching is really important and even more so when you have multiple roles on the same server but you simply don't have enough memory for it all.

You should consider stopping all crawl activities during working hours. That process uses a lot of memory and resource that you can't spare.

SharePoint will always use a lot of RAM, it's designed to be 'greedy', if it thinks that it can make use of more RAM it will take it. Simply having a high memory utilization is not a warning sign. Having that little memory for SQL and SharePoint is why i'd be concerned.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi Bhavnasu,

Does the post helps you?

You can mark it as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:12 AM