MS BranchCache solution write operations, deploymnet and management ease RRS feed

• Question

• Submitting here as there is no seperate category.

I'm looking for some real time implementation examples of BC solution. How easy to deploy n how effective is it with widely distributed robo IT ? 

I know that it only caches the read operations, does not taht make it in effective for robo file servers and apps servers where there will be lot of write ops as well??

Any guidlines, inputs and references would help us.

Thanks,

Prashant

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Prashant,

Since BranchCache copies content from your main office servers and caches the content at branch office locations, allowing client computers at branch offices to access the content locally rather than over the WAN, so it is mainly benefit for read access. For write, as we all know, it wil be slow.

But for what extent about the slow, I'm afraid it's hard to say. That can be caused by many factors. It may also related to different environmnet.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Friday, July 29, 2016 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Prashant,

Thanks for your post.

BranchCache caches content from remote file and Web servers in the branch location so that users can more quickly access this information. The cache can be hosted centrally on a server in the branch location or can be distributed across user PCs.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831696(v=ws.11).aspx

But as you said,  BranchCache doesn’t accelerate writes, only reads. Writes always have to go back to the content server.

You might refer to the thread discussed before.

BranchCache distributed cache mode

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/fa1b6d0b-d084-4453-9461-e3582dfdc2f6/branchcache-distributed-cache-mode?forum=windowsserver2008r2branchoffice

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:16 AM
  • Hi Mary,

IF you have any pointers to case studies of real time implementation would help me to decide if we can really go with this technology over other paid solution like river bed etc. My only worry now is how effective BC will be as this does not optimise the write operations!

I will go through the second link.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Hi Prashant,

Since BranchCache copies content from your main office servers and caches the content at branch office locations, allowing client computers at branch offices to access the content locally rather than over the WAN, so it is mainly benefit for read access. For write, as we all know, it wil be slow.

But for what extent about the slow, I'm afraid it's hard to say. That can be caused by many factors. It may also related to different environmnet.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Dong Friday, July 29, 2016 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:07 AM