none
Copy tasks without copying work done RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project on Office 365 (SharePoint Online).

I have a user that has a project that requires going back to request a budget increase. Since the budget request at the beginning of the project has the same phases, the user simply copied and pasted the tasks relating to that process and pasted them under a new parent task.

They have properly retained resources (though some minor changes need to be made here) and they have not retained precedents, so they have properly integrated themselves into the schedule.

However, they cannot be edited to remove resources because it says "Cannot delete or reassign tasks or assignments with protected actuals. This task/assignment has protected actuals so it cannot be deleted/reassigned", even though this is now a new task with a new ID, etc. and no work has yet been logged against it. 

Likewise, the start date of the task cannot be changed and generates the error "We cannot make that change because Project Web App is set to only allow actual work to be entered by team members through Timesheets or My Work", which is true, but I'm not trying to enter work, I'm simply adjusting the start date.

These issues lead me to believe that work logged against the original task is somehow still logged against the copy, even though the ID of the task should be unique. But t is just a guess and could very well be something else. Is there a way to fix this without having to recreate the tasks (as there are quite a few of them)? Deleting the copies and re-copying them is not as big a hurdle if there is some change I can make prior to doing so, or some procedure I can follow, that would allow a copy to work as desired.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:18 AM

All replies

• Interesting issue.

You could consider copying and pasting into Excel and then from Excel to Project as one approach to try and "break" the association with protected actuals. 

I am guessing that retaining the tasks within the same plan may be a contributory factor, have you tried to copy and paste from the existing plan to a new plan?

An alternative might to be temporarily disable the "Protect User Updates" option in PWA> Server Settings>Task Settings and Display" whilst your user makes these changes and once the copied tasks have had their actuals set to Zero and are scheduled for some time in the future to reinstate this option.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, May 24, 2018 9:47 AM