locked
SQL Server error-10061 RRS feed

  • Question

  • TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

    Cannot connect to RPSINGH-HP\RP.

    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10061)

    ------------------------------

    Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

  • This Error may occur due to many reasons like:<o:p></o:p>

    1- The SQL instance you are trying to connect it stopped, then you need to check the service is up and running<o:p></o:p>

    2- There is a network problem between your SQL client (e.g.: SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio)     and the target SQL instance, then you may need to contact your network admin to check.<o:p></o:p>

    3- The Server performance and the memory status in order to accept extra connections as Mr. Alex had mentioned below, then you have to check the Windows performance counter Memory: Pages\sec in order to know whether there is a memory bottleneck or not, in the normal case you will find that the value for this counter between 0 and 10<o:p></o:p>

    Waiting for your outcome :)<o:p></o:p>

    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Monday, February 27, 2012 2:30 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

  • Make Sure SQL Browser is Running. and try to connect with SQL Instance.


    Nag Pal MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005/2008) :: Please Mark Answer/vote if it is helpful ::

    • Proposed as answer by SNIVAS Monday, February 20, 2012 3:07 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:47 PM
  • >>provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

    I once encountered the exact same error message when there is not enough memory to open a new conneciton. Please check whether you have an incorrect Max Server Memory configuration, or OS resource pression.


    Alex Feng | SQL Server DBA, ALIBABA.COM
    My Blog | MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:30 AM
  • This Error may occur due to many reasons like:<o:p></o:p>

    1- The SQL instance you are trying to connect it stopped, then you need to check the service is up and running<o:p></o:p>

    2- There is a network problem between your SQL client (e.g.: SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio)     and the target SQL instance, then you may need to contact your network admin to check.<o:p></o:p>

    3- The Server performance and the memory status in order to accept extra connections as Mr. Alex had mentioned below, then you have to check the Windows performance counter Memory: Pages\sec in order to know whether there is a memory bottleneck or not, in the normal case you will find that the value for this counter between 0 and 10<o:p></o:p>

    Waiting for your outcome :)<o:p></o:p>

    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Monday, February 27, 2012 2:30 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:37 PM
  • I had this problem this morning. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10061) 

    Cause of problem: Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols disabled.

    I was trying to connect to a SQL Server 2012 instance on my own laptop. I had connected to it daily for many months. Then this morning I could not connect through SSMS or by creating an ODBC DSN.  After trying many things including the solutions recommended above, I opened SQL Server Configuration Manager and looked at the instance. I clicked on SQL Server Network Configuration | Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.  

    Somehow the Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols had been disabled. I re-enabled them, restarted the SQL Server service and I was able to logon without a problem.

    I have a 2nd named instance of SQL Server which was not disabled and is what led me to the solution. It was available while the primary default instance was not.

    I have no idea how this would have happened. I did a little looking for what might possibly automatically disable these protocols with no success.

    No one has had access to my laptop and I can't see how I would have done it myself accidentally. It's a mystery at this point. 


    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:12 PM