Application Launch from File - Multilaunch Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that has sequenced the Remedy User application. The product predominanty works just fine, but has 1 oddity that I have yet to be able to chase down. The behavior changes between the sequenced and non-sequenced versions despite identical installations.

On the installed version, if you double-click an ARTask file and Remedy is already running, the file is processed in the currently running copy of the software.

On the sequenced version, if you double-click an ARTask file, it doesn't matter whether Remedy is open or not, it ALWAYS launches a new instance of the app.

I realize that limitation of the number of instances that can run is an application side issue, but I don't really care how many copies they have running, the issue is getting the file to launch in the existing window which is the expected behavior of the product. Is this a file association thing?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Merddyn
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:22 PM

Answers

• This could be due to Remedy not seeing already running instance of itself and launching a new copy for each file.

If this is caused by isolation imposed by the virtual environment, one thing to try out is ALLOWLOCALINTERACTION -policy in your OSD file(s) of Remedy package. There's description of it in the App-V Team blog at: http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/09/20/a-look-under-the-covers-the-local-interaction-allowed-tag.aspx

Try out if that resolves your problem; FTA issue with DDE call should behave the same with virtual apps as with locally installed one since Sequencer captures necessary DDE data for file associations so I suspect it's not because of it.

br,
    Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:05 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Verify how DDEXEC is configured in the native FTA and the virtualized FTA.

/Znack
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:31 PM
  • This could be due to Remedy not seeing already running instance of itself and launching a new copy for each file.

If this is caused by isolation imposed by the virtual environment, one thing to try out is ALLOWLOCALINTERACTION -policy in your OSD file(s) of Remedy package. There's description of it in the App-V Team blog at: http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/09/20/a-look-under-the-covers-the-local-interaction-allowed-tag.aspx

Try out if that resolves your problem; FTA issue with DDE call should behave the same with virtual apps as with locally installed one since Sequencer captures necessary DDE data for file associations so I suspect it's not because of it.

br,
    Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:05 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:49 PM