show Wsus current activity online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there any way in WSUS to show the current activity of the server?

what i mean exactly is that i want to see which computers\servers are CURRENTLY connected to it and are downloading updates for example.

otherwise, how do i know it is "doing" something right now?

i know i can go to one of it's client and type some commands there, but i would like to see the activity from the server side.

p.s. i'm not interested in seeing what updates the WSUS itself i currently downloading - i know how to do that

thanks in advanced to anyone who can advise

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:16 PM

All replies

• The network tab of resource monitor can show you active network connections. If you're familiar with the command line you can also use netstat. For example, with WSUS on default ports:

netstat -n | find "8530"

If you don't mind waiting and want to see it do reverse DNS on the IP addresses you can omit the "-n".

• Edited by D.Pope MCSE Sunday, May 14, 2017 12:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by D.Pope MCSE Monday, May 22, 2017 8:36 PM
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Hi Gil Kremer,

There's no build-in WSUS GUI settings to view the downloading status of the WSUS clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hi Gil Kremer,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Hi Anne, thank you for your comment! that is unfortunate that WSUS does not have a build-in WSUS GUI settings to view the downloading status of the WSUS clients..

but anyways, thank you

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Thank you D.Pope for your comment. i've opened the resource monitor, in the network section and could not have figured out how to see what are the name\IPs of the computers currently connected to the WSUS. all it provides is information about processes and the bandwidth they use..

i have tried the netstat command line you have suggested and saw no connections on port 8530.
    i wonder if its because there are no computers currently updating (i doubt that since over 500 computers and servers are using the WSUS)  or is it because i have done something wrong (?)

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:23 PM
  • I would say it's entirely likely, depending on your configuration to have no connections to that port. You need to ensure you're using the default port as well. If your WSUS server is using a different port, you will need to change the command to reflect that. Another item to consider is your configured update frequency. In my environment the GPO configures clients for hourly checkins with WSUS and so there's almost always at least one client machine connected to WSUS. If your environment is configured for longer intervals, like the standard 24 hour setting, it's very probable that your WSUS server will be idle and have near zero connections for most of the day.

A test you could do would be to go force a client to start updating and rerun the command to see if your output changes.

Here is the current output from my WSUS server:

C:\Windows\system32>netstat  | find "8530"
      TCP    192.168.x.x:8530     client-computer:49942        ESTABLISHED
      TCP    192.168.x.x:8530     client-computer:49943        ESTABLISHED
      TCP    [fe80::x:1516:x:e00d%4]:8530  WSUS-Server:60979           ESTABLISHED
      TCP    [fe80::x:1516:x:e00d%4]:60979  WSUS-Server:8530            ESTABLISHED

• Edited by D.Pope MCSE Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:50 PM
  • When you look at resource monitor it at least gives you a good idea what systems are downloading updates, the network tab then look at network activity each connection to the server is listed either by IP address or domain name.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:48 PM
  • Oh that's right! i didn't notice that i could expand the network activity windows

thanks!

Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hi Gil,

You may mark useful reply as answer so that the reply will be highlighted.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 29, 2017 6:30 AM