Vista Home Premium won't boot with 4gb or + of RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I was running Windows XP.  I was able to have all 4 of my 2gb DDR2 800mhz chips installed (but XP only recognized 2.5 or so of that RAM).  Still, the system booted fine.

I upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium.  Now, Windows will not boot at all with anything more than 1 chip installed (2gb RAM).  If I install any more, it fails.  Safe Mode hangs when trying to load null.sys.  For a while it would hang at crcdisk.sys or disk.sys, but I found that if I set my memory speed manually to 800mhz rather than Auto, I got past the disk and crcdisk.sys freezing.  Who knows if it even matters WHAT driver it hangs on.

I know my ram is supported by my motherboard... all 4 chips are identical.

Can anyone help?
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:04 AM

Answers

• Actually, it turned out to be a BIOS issue.  Strangely enough, even though the motherboard would POST fine and would indicate it recognized the full amout of RAM, the issue went away after I upgraded to the latest BIOS from MSI.  Windows is now registering 8GB of RAM (I didn't think 32 bit would register more than 4?).

The motherboard is the MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire edition.  It began working after I updated to BIOS revision 1.80.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please refer to the following KB article and see if this can fix your issue.

(KB929777) Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929777

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Lionel

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:04 AM
  • Actually, it turned out to be a BIOS issue.  Strangely enough, even though the motherboard would POST fine and would indicate it recognized the full amout of RAM, the issue went away after I upgraded to the latest BIOS from MSI.  Windows is now registering 8GB of RAM (I didn't think 32 bit would register more than 4?).

The motherboard is the MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire edition.  It began working after I updated to BIOS revision 1.80.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 2:25 PM
  • I'll bet you have Vista Service Pack 1 installed.  With that new service pack, Vista 32-bit will recognize the full amount of RAM, but will not utilize it.  To get full utilization of your 8GB, you'll have to upgrade to 64-bit.

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:09 PM