USB does not work with Windows XP ONLY!!! Works in all others. RRS feed

• Question

• This is not your normal case...  Please read if you think you can help.

I have used Windows XP for years without any issue like this.  I have a smartphone that I plug into my computer daily for charging.  I've used it with the computer for months now.  A couple weeks ago, I plugged it in, I got the "ding" you get when you plug in a USB device, then my computer turned off.  I unplugged my phone and turned my computer back on.  Windows booted, but my mouse and keyboard no longer worked.  The lights were off, and only blinked on and right back off when I pressed a key or mouse button.

At this point, I thought I had fried my USB ports.  But I noticed that the keyboard worked during boot and in BIOS, and that the mouse and keyboard worked just fine in Linux.  So then I thought I had an IRQ issue in Windows where it was trying to assign the same address to multiple ports.  I do not have access to a PS2 keyboard or mouse, so could do nothing to correct this.  So I reinstalled.  Or, at least, I tried to...

During the installation process, everything worked fine, up until it got to the point where it said, "Setup is starting Windows."  Then the lights would go off again, and it was unresponsive.

So I borrowed a Windows 7 disk from someone, and I was able to set it up just fine.  I had absolutely no issues in Windows 7, other than the fact that it ate resources.  Because of that, I do not want to upgrade.  However, I want to be able to install and use my Windows XP.

So to summarize, my USB ports and devices work like normal in BIOS, Linux, and Windows 7.  But they are totally unresponsive as soon as Windows XP begins to load.  I cannot find anything like this online, and have no clue what to do.  I am really trying not to upgrade to Windows 7.  Also, just to note, I had all available updates on Windows XP when it was installed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, Windows 7 is still installed on the trial.  The old Windows XP files are not there anymore, so I do not have access to any previous install info.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:33 AM

All replies

• lol, not even one reply yet.  I figured this wouldn't be a well known issue.
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:07 AM
  • lol, 146 views: 0 replies...  lol~  I'm hurting. XD
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:27 PM
  • i am  using windows xp sp3 , i have  totally  8 usb ports ,  four in front , four in back side . out of that  four are  HIGHSPEED ports controlled  intel usb controller , it  with intel  mother board  .  all  my  ports working nicely , and  i  have  connected  samrt phones , webcam , ups cable , pen drive , micro sd  card reader , even 3G data card too . i  think , in your windows xp , usb host controller drivers are  not insatlled . To  check this , go  to  start , and  then help and  support , then  tools  to view  your  computer information and  diagnostics , then  on left side , click my computer information , and  then on right side , click 3rd option , find the  information about the hardware installed  on the  computer . try it
    k.varadharajan
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:56 AM
  • i am  using windows xp sp3 , i have  totally  8 usb ports ,  four in front , four in back side . out of that  four are  HIGHSPEED ports controlled  intel usb controller , it  with intel  mother board  .  all  my  ports working nicely , and  i  have  connected  samrt phones , webcam , ups cable , pen drive , micro sd  card reader , even 3G data card too . i  think , in your windows xp , usb host controller drivers are  not insatlled . To  check this , go  to  start , and  then help and  support , then  tools  to view  your  computer information and  diagnostics , then  on left side , click my computer information , and  then on right side , click 3rd option , find the  information about the hardware installed  on the  computer . try it
    k.varadharajan
    I have to assume you did not read my post, or did not understand it.  Everything was working correctly.  I used this setup for years.  This is only a recent issue where all USB ports stopped working only during the load of Windows XP.  Windows XP was deleted from my hard drive completely, and Windows 7 loaded in its place.  I have no issues on Windows 7.  However, I do not want to use Windows 7, so I tried to reinstall Windows XP.  As soon as the installation gets to where it starts to load Windows XP, the USB ports stop working again.  So I cannot even reinstall Windows XP.  Therefore, it is not a driver issue, and I cannot go into the settings of Windows XP since it is not even installed.  However, I do appreciate the attempt to help, especially since this has gotten over 400 views and only one reply.  So thanks anyway.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:48 PM
  • I am trying to fix this Pavilion A1129N, it belongs to a friend. He told me that it was running rather slow and wanted me to just wipe it and reinstall windows and then just tune it up. it has a recovery partition so I thought a quick wipe and reload will take me the usual couple hours after everything is said and done. Then I got the exact same issue you are having here, down to last detail. I have reset the BIOS, unplugged everything except the HDD, installed and removed video cards, turned all settings on and off and still will not work.

I have scoured the internet and have read every blog, tech support site, technical forum and everything in between looking for an answer to this problem. It's been 4 days for me and I have yet to find the solution. Have you had any luck since the last time you posted? or did you have to upgrade your OS just to have your ports working? 

I don't see how this machine would require an upgrade since the problem persists within its own recovery process. I'm hoping for some idea to pop up.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Do any other items work with the USB ports? And if you have them plugged in when starting up, try unplugging everything bar the keyboard. And you could also get USB to PS/2 converter for a quick fix
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Do any other items work with the USB ports? And if you have them plugged in when starting up, try unplugging everything bar the keyboard. And you could also get USB to PS/2 converter for a quick fix
    Not sure if you were talking to me or the guy above you, but yes, I've had everything but the power and monitor unplugged at one point, and still nothing.  I've since noticed that 1 port will not work on any OS, so my assumption is that it's just that XP cannot work around the error of the USB being bad, which is a tad bit ridiculous.  But whatever.  I've given up, though, so thanks for the replies.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:39 PM