BSOD invalid process attach attempt RRS feed

• Question

• I received a toshiba satellite C55D for christmas. It came with windows 8.1 64 bit installed. My issues is that every now and then I'll get a BSOD saying invalid process attach attempt which makes me refresh the pc and if that does not work i am forced to restart the whole pc (pretty much factory restore) and have all of my programs deleted. The first time this happened I had just installed a game off of steam, and it crashed after turning my computer off and then back on again. I restored it all and then it was fine for a few days then happened again suddenly. I've searched the far reaches of the internet for this specific code, but to no avail. I contemplated downgrading to Windows 7, but was advised otherwise by a friend of mine. If someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it
    Friday, February 7, 2014 11:27 PM

Answers

• The link worked great.

The error appears to be caused by the SynTP.sys which is a Synaptics Touchpad driver:

INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT (5)
    Arguments:
    Arg1: ffffe00000294500
    Arg2: ffffe00002bd7900
    Arg3: 0000000000000000
    Arg4: 0000000000000001

<snip>

PROCESS_NAME:  avgcsrva.exe

<snip>

IMAGE_NAME:  SynTP.sys

<snip>

BUCKET_ID:  0x5_SynTP+3b9fb

In that error, the latest one but not the other one, the process that crashed was avgcsrva.exe, an AVG process which may indicate an issue with AVG. 

I would suggest to uninstall the Synaptics Touchpad driver that is presently installed and then install the following one from Toshiba:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4003469

That driver may be an older driver but may work better that the present driver.

If the issue persists consider uninstalling AVG, at least temporarily, and see if it helps.

Afterward you could reinstall AVG using the latest version or go with alternative security software such as Window 8.1 built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall. 

• Edited by auggyMVP Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, February 10, 2014 3:38 PM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:04 PM

All replies

• It may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger.

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

Also, you do not necessarily have to zip up the minidump files, you can upload them one at a time.

Friday, February 7, 2014 11:40 PM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A5A2C0274DACA373%21602

here is the link, im hoping i uploaded things correctly

Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:35 AM
  • The link worked great.

The error appears to be caused by the SynTP.sys which is a Synaptics Touchpad driver:

INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT (5)
    Arguments:
    Arg1: ffffe00000294500
    Arg2: ffffe00002bd7900
    Arg3: 0000000000000000
    Arg4: 0000000000000001

<snip>

PROCESS_NAME:  avgcsrva.exe

<snip>

IMAGE_NAME:  SynTP.sys

<snip>

BUCKET_ID:  0x5_SynTP+3b9fb

In that error, the latest one but not the other one, the process that crashed was avgcsrva.exe, an AVG process which may indicate an issue with AVG. 

I would suggest to uninstall the Synaptics Touchpad driver that is presently installed and then install the following one from Toshiba:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4003469

That driver may be an older driver but may work better that the present driver.

If the issue persists consider uninstalling AVG, at least temporarily, and see if it helps.

Afterward you could reinstall AVG using the latest version or go with alternative security software such as Window 8.1 built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall. 

• Edited by auggyMVP Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, February 10, 2014 3:38 PM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:04 PM
  • thanks a lot for your time and help, i greatly appreciate it!

I was unaware windows had its own anti virus software built in, I'm going to try and use that. fingers crossed for no more crashes

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:33 PM
  • You're welcome, and good luck!

Post back if any more BSODs.

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:48 PM
  • To add on to this answer - I am in the process of fixing this issue at work...When you arrive at the login screen, instead of clicking the touch pad to log in, use a key from the keyboard. I found that if I used the touchpad at all before Windows was logged in, I was getting a BSOD. Anyway, going to try the fix via the Toshiba driver.

Thanks for the link Auggy.

Update 1 hour later:

New driver for touchpad worked. Logged in, no issues. Glad I found this board.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:02 PM