What causes the client to begin deploying itself? RRS feed

• Question

• I never enabled the automatic site wide deployment, and never told it to push the client to any collection - yet somehow, I now have > 150 clients - all servers that the client should definitely not be on.  Can anyone tell me why the client deployed itself?

I have checked the ccr inbox, inproc, and ccrretry - no files in any of those folders.  Yet, there's the client, on those servers.

Remember, mark posts that are helpful, or if it has answered your question, mark as answer.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

• Check ccm.log on the site server. If there is activity there, the installs may have come from client push (manual or auto -- no way to tell the difference).

Have you looked at the client version on those systems? Is it a new or old client version?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:43 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed these servers as using a ConfigMgr Tasksequence maybe ?

K

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Not at all - some of these are older 2k3 servers that are production systems for other applications.  I haven't setup any task sequences yet (except AppV 5).

The only things I have done is add boundaries, added all the site servers (MPs, DPs, Catalogs, etc)

I did assign the site code to the boundaries - could that cause it?  I just don't get why the client suddenly decided to start installing itself.  For the time being, I removed the client installation service account so that it would fail, but I'd like to know what caused it to begin with.

Remember, mark posts that are helpful, or if it has answered your question, mark as answer.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

To avoid it happening again you could remove the IP range or subnet of your servers as boundary for now?

K

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:30 PM
  • I'm not quite as worried about the servers as I am the actual end user desktops, so I'm afraid to turn anything back on.  Yet, I still need to be able to deploy it to select test machines, so I can't remove the entire boundary list

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Personally i don't see how this happened. No one else that accessed the environment and did it by accident?

Or remainings of an older installation.... I don't have any explanation and have never seen it happen.

K

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:49 PM
  • By any chance were you testing SCCM client install via script - perhaps something still in Group Policy?

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:11 PM Edited blog address
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Personally i don't see how this happened. No one else that accessed the environment and did it by accident?

Or remainings of an older installation.... I don't have any explanation and have never seen it happen.

K

At the moment, I am the only person with access to the console (by security)

Gerry - Haven't tested anything at all in GPO / scripts.

It really makes no sense whatsoever, but I did notice it only installed to servers (which previously had no client)...

For now, I have removed the client installation account, and created a mandatory push that uninstalls to a collection of devices reporting they have the client.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Check ccm.log on the site server. If there is activity there, the installs may have come from client push (manual or auto -- no way to tell the difference).

Have you looked at the client version on those systems? Is it a new or old client version?

• Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:43 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:19 PM

Well - that's interesting.  Good call - it's the old (4.x) client, but the site code was reassigned to the new server / MP.  Although, that really scares me now - what if it decides to do this to the actual end user workstation clients?  What is telling it to do this?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Looks like these servers may not have been in the 07 boundary, but had the client (possibly boundary was removed), so they've been sitting here for who knows how long trying to find the site.... probably years.  With the new boundary, they saw the MP, and updated.

RegTask: Failed to refresh site code. Error: 0x8000ffff
    RegTask: Initial backoff interval: 1 minutes
    RegTask: Reset backoff interval: 257 minutes
    RegTask: Failed to refresh site code. Error: 0x8000ffff
    RegTask: Initial backoff interval: 1 minutes
    RegTask: Reset backoff interval: 257 minutes
    GetSystemEnclosureChassisInfo: IsFixed=FALSE, IsLaptop=FALSE
    Computed HardwareID=2:5315DB4A9DFE3C1C2E5883F386B0609F6C0519C5
    	Win32_SystemEnclosure.SerialNumber=<empty>
    	Win32_SystemEnclosure.SMBIOSAssetTag=<empty>
    	Win32_BaseBoard.SerialNumber=None
    	Win32_BIOS.SerialNumber=VMware-42 2f 11 77 8e 30 77 c7-34 eb 4f 60 c5 47 2b b6
    	Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.MACAddress=00:50:56:AF:44:A3
    RegTask: Client is not registered. Sending registration request...
    RegTask: Client registration is pending.
    RegTask: Client is pending registration. Sending confirmation request...
    RegEndPoint: Event notification: CCM_RemoteClient_Reassigned
    RegEndPoint: Received notification for site assignment change from '<none>' to 'PS1'.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Exactly. I was going to point out that nothing actually ever assigns clients to sites, clients assign themselves based upon boundaries. Additionally, clients never re-assign themselves and auto-site site assignment is a one-time activity; i.e., once assigned, a client will never automatically reassign itself.

So, with the reassigned to the new site, you can turn on auto-client upgrade and they will upgrade automatically also (assuming you are at SP1, never use auto-upgrade with RTM -- it's horribly broken).

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Friday, May 17, 2013 6:36 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Exactly. I was going to point out that nothing actually ever assigns clients to sites, clients assign themselves based upon boundaries. Additionally, clients never re-assign themselves and auto-site site assignment is a one-time activity; i.e., once assigned, a client will never automatically reassign itself.

So, with the reassigned to the new site, you can turn on auto-client upgrade and they will upgrade automatically also (assuming you are at SP1, never use auto-upgrade with RTM -- it's horribly broken).

Thanks, wasn't aware of the auto upgrade feature yet.  Hadn't gotten that far.  These clients though, I deleted.  They are production servers managed by another team, and weren't supposed to have the SCCM client to begin with

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:30 PM