What settings are stored in the Outlook profile? RRS feed

• Question

•                 

Hi,

We currently have an Exchange 2010/2016 co-existense environment and are migrating our users from 2010 to 2016.

We have been experiencing issues when we either move our users to 2016 or a new user with a mailbox in 2010 starts Outlook (2013) the first time, a dialog box with the message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window etc." is displayed, see inserted picture below:

After some investigating we finally realised that we have a PRF file (deployed in the base image with SCCM/MDT) that was pointing to a CNAME referring to the 2010 environment instead of using Autodiscover.

The way to get around the problem is deleting/recreating the Outlook profile with default settings, everything then works OK and autodiscover creates the profile with the correct settings.

Our plan to solve the problem is creating an MSP file using the OCT for Office 2013 which creates a new Outlook profile (blank settings) and deploying the MSP with SCCM and applying ZCE (Zero Config Exchange) with a GPO. My only concern is that there will be some Outlook settings contained in the existing profile that will disappear that I haven´t thought of, I know signatures are saved locally on disk for instance but what else is contained in the Outlook profile? I have not been able to find a detailed list and need to know such that I can inform our users.

If anyone has any experience of this and could help with any information I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Emile Risberg

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:28 AM

Answers

• My only concern is that there will be some Outlook settings contained in the existing profile that will disappear that I haven´t thought of, I know signatures are saved locally on disk for instance but what else is contained in the Outlook profile? I have not been able to find a detailed list and need to know such that I can inform our users.

A profile contains configuration information for email accounts, data files, and information about where your email items are saved. Outlook profiles are stored in the Windows registry and contain the following information:

What account information to use    This information includes the user name, display name, email server name, and Internet service provider (ISP) account password.

Where the email data is delivered and saved    In Outlook, data is delivered and saved either on the email server or in an Outlook Data File (.pst) file on your computer. Some accounts, such as Microsoft Exchange Server accounts might use an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).This data includes rules, messages, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, journals, Search Folders, and other settings.

Actually, signatures won't lost when you create a new profile on the same computer, you will still be able to access and use the signatures with new mail profile.

In theory, for Exchange accounts, most settings are stored in your mailbox (such as Views, AutoComplete cache, categories), it's not necessary to back up these files. Moreover, if you create the new profile without deleting any Outlook related files, you will still be able to access these files on the same computer.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EmileRis Friday, May 26, 2017 6:54 AM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:47 AM

All replies

• My only concern is that there will be some Outlook settings contained in the existing profile that will disappear that I haven´t thought of, I know signatures are saved locally on disk for instance but what else is contained in the Outlook profile? I have not been able to find a detailed list and need to know such that I can inform our users.

A profile contains configuration information for email accounts, data files, and information about where your email items are saved. Outlook profiles are stored in the Windows registry and contain the following information:

What account information to use    This information includes the user name, display name, email server name, and Internet service provider (ISP) account password.

Where the email data is delivered and saved    In Outlook, data is delivered and saved either on the email server or in an Outlook Data File (.pst) file on your computer. Some accounts, such as Microsoft Exchange Server accounts might use an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).This data includes rules, messages, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, journals, Search Folders, and other settings.

Actually, signatures won't lost when you create a new profile on the same computer, you will still be able to access and use the signatures with new mail profile.

In theory, for Exchange accounts, most settings are stored in your mailbox (such as Views, AutoComplete cache, categories), it's not necessary to back up these files. Moreover, if you create the new profile without deleting any Outlook related files, you will still be able to access these files on the same computer.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EmileRis Friday, May 26, 2017 6:54 AM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:47 AM
  • Thank you for your answer!
    Friday, May 26, 2017 6:54 AM
  • You're welcome :)

Steve Fan

Monday, June 12, 2017 9:38 AM